cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

OH My God--No free speach

The first amendment does give you the right to free speech. But if you shoot your mouth off or flash your checkbook around, it may get you fired. Free speech comes with consequences and you didn't mind trying to silence the dixie chicks  when they offended you.

4 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: OH My God--No free speach

People should have a right to anonymity, if you support a cause, it isn`t anyone`s business how much the checks are that you write. If you "shoot off your mouth" like the Dixie Chicks, they were begging for publicity in their case the repercussions couldn`t be helped, fans heard them, quit buying their CDs and burned them.  That`s exactly why the Dixie Chicks should`ve been able to anoymously write checks to "anti war" groups....call it "free speech for famous people" .....and we`re all 15 minutes away from being famous, because depending on where you write checks out, you might wake up to the sound of your windows breaking and a angry mob picketting out front. Cause liberals are mean and nuts.

It seems that if we are going to have laws that force businesses to serve everybody at their lunch counter and bake everybody a cake that wants one, then that business should have the right to used that hard earned money to privately support oranizations that they want.

Advisor

But that was in the midst of the Freedom Fries Hysteria (couldn't make this stuff up).

Since history has mostly vindicated Ms. Maines, perhaps the lesson is to avoid becoming hysterical.

Veteran Advisor

Y'all are the nutty ones and also mean and evil. All you have to do is look at the people you elect in MN, KS, OK, AZ and many others who try to pass and do pass restrictive laws and rules for those humans they dislike. Of course, when this happens those people do get angry and break windows. However, that is cause and effect. Do you honestly feel that you should be able to buy a congressman to do your bidding instead of the bidding of the entire American populace? You guys keep talking about how much you love and the constitution and say that Dems break the rules all the time but you forget the parts that afford ALL people in this country the same right to freedom and the pursuit of happiness! Your people make up stuff and lay it on the founding fathers as something they said. Your hero mr west just wrote a book quoting several things that fit his agenda and said Thomas Jefferson said them and now it is learned that none of them were ever uttered by Mr Jefferson. GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD--ALL OF YOUR OPINIONS ARE NOT ALWAYS CORRECT!! NO ONE'S IS!
Advisor

But if you shoot your mouth off or flash your checkbook around, it may get you fired. Free speech comes with consequences and you didn't mind trying to silence the dixie chicks when they offended you.    

so the Dixie chicks shot their mouths off and got fired

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/04/04/mozilla-ceo-resignation-free-speech/7328759/htt...