cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Obama administration to protect kids from working.

@r3020 wrote:

Bart, when my boys work for Pioneer they get paid. When you HIRE the neighbor boys to help bale hay or straw they get PAID.

The way around it is to pay their Dad, instead.   Or, you can just pay them in cash.... no paper trail.

With the Reichstag in league with the Obama Gestapo, one has to farm like you are always doing something illegal in their eyes.  Pretty soon, we will all be farming under the cover of darkness and sleeping during the day.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

That is what I'm talking about PAID!  I guess you will have to break down and spend more money to hire adults instead of child labor.  You can work your own kids all you want.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

I share equipment and labor with a brother that works full time off the farm but also farms as well.  He lives in town but his kids are out at the farm a lot and help out often.   Under this new law it would be illegal for me to hire his 15 year old son to bale hay, pick up rocks, clean out grain bins, pick apples or even drive a tractor no matter how small yet he is old enough to drive a car to school every day.

As far as just hiring adults goes it is not that easy.   Hard enough to find teenage boys that want to bale hay or pick up rocks but even harder trying find an adult.

I have no trouble with child labor laws for the most part but this new bill seems to go a bit to far. 

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Instead of kids, hire illegal aliens. They work cheap, and if caught, instead of prosecuting, maybe the government will give amnesty.
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Can't believe what I am reading here.  All you high ground moral holier-than-thou righties and you who tend to lean that way willfully suggesting ways to break the law.  Amazing!!

dagwud
Senior Contributor

Ever since our kids have been old enough to go to school my wife has worked part time jobs off the farm.   One winter several years ago she worked for a large egg producer here in Iowa that moved here from Maine.  As Monty Python would say, "Know what I mean?  Say no more."

Her job was to fill empty buildings with new baby chicks and debeak them.  She called home one day and said they were short staffed that day and if I was not working as a grain inspector that day would I want to help them out which I did.  This was a new building having chickens placed in it for the first time.   While we were filling cages with baby chicks there was a Hispanic crew quickly trying to finish up installing the feed and water delivery systems for the chicks.   It was obvious that a couple of the Hispanic males workers were only about 14 years old and I remember thinking that they should be in school since it was a school day.

When we stopped for our dinner break we went down and sat in the still clean and empty manure pit below.   While eating eating our lunch the Hispanic workers turned on the water lines for the first time to see if they would work.   Evidently they were inexperienced at installing plastic water lines and seemed to have no one supervising them.   As soon as the water was turned on water shot out all over as several joints in the water line blew apart.  Seems no one told them they had to glue the pipe together and they were simply dry fitting the connections together.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

From the looks of it, if you need certain Jove sone, it will be 'less' illegal to hire illegal aliens, than the neighbor kid. I find that to be ludicrase and was using my post to illustrate the point.
r3020
Senior Advisor

Bart, we have never hired a kid that wasn't happy and grateful for the job. Builds character. Gives them a feeling of self worth. They love to have their own money to spend, save, give to others. They learn non of that setting on a sofa in front of a video game. My boys like their work for Pioneer pulling tassels. It is hard work, yet they are there with their friends and developed a lot of comradery finishing a difficult job. Very, very, very, few of the kids that start in the summer quit before the task is complete. Our government has no right to deprive them of that satisfaction. 

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

BS!!  You hire them because they work cheap.  Tell Pioneer to make it surefire safe for the kids and the kids won't have a job any longer!  Farming is the most dangerous occupation that you don't need a college education for (I rank astronaut more dangerous) and to put young kids at risk like that is irresponsible.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

You mean there are degrees of illegalness???  Never knew that.