cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r3020
Senior Advisor

Obama care reality

We were told how it was going to lower cost and if you liked your plan you could keep it. What hog wash. Cost are going much higher, plans are disappearing, and businesses are struggling. Everything conservatives said would happen is being proven correct. This is why we don't buy into your man made global warming crap, we don't want your gun crap, or you sequester is killing the economy crap. Everything your department of the media tell us is a lie.

snip-

Yesterday the Times published a profile of a small business looking at the possibility of losing half of its profits due to requirements in the new healthcare law. The bakery’s owners are mulling their options trying to decide how to best comply with the law while still turning a profit. The options they’re deciding between are being discussed at businesses across the U.S.:

Option One is to provide the insurance. According to the law, Ms. Shein will have to offer health insurance or, most likely, pay a penalty, and she estimates the insurance will cost up to $108,000 a year for 90 employees (managers have insurance already).

This is just an estimate, she said, because the insurance companies have not yet created and set a price on plans that meet the law’s requirement for minimum care.

Option Two is to not offer health insurance and let employees find coverage elsewhere, perhaps on one of the new government exchanges. Under this option, the company will probably have to pay the mandated “employer shared responsibility payment” to the government.

The cost to the business would be $2,000 per employee a year, but the law exempts the first 30 employees, so the total would be $130,000 per year for a 95-person company. One benefit of this option is that the company would not have to take on the burden or expense of managing the insurance plan, which Ms. Shein estimates would take $10,000 of staff time.

One way to cover the costs associated with the new law would be to raise the price of each item sold about 4 percent and pass the costs along to buyers. “It’s ironic that our success meant we could grow,” Ms. Shein said, “and now we will be competing against smaller companies, with 50 employees or fewer, who will be able to charge less per item because they don’t have the financial burden of health insurance.” Prices are currently similar among local competitors, Ms. Shein said, and she says she believes the increase in her prices could affect her sales, possibly significantly.

Ms. Shein is considering a third option: outsourcing certain jobs to reduce the staff, because businesses with 50 or fewer employees will be exempt from the penalty. “We can outsource the cleaning and make the drivers independent contractors,” she said, “and we can cut the least profitable delivery routes, least profitable accounts or reduce the variety of items we create.”

No matter what option is chosen, the profits of the bakery, which ultimately serve to help the business operate and expand, will suffer. Options one and two could endanger the business’s viability, and thus the livelihoods of its employees and owners. Option three would put many of the bakery’s employees out of a job, thanks directly to a law that was touted as a way to protect low-income earners. No matter what these small business owners decide, the jobs of their employees are at risk. Not exactly the picture that the Times painted three years ago while covering the healthcare bill.

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/2013/03/21/three-years-too-late-finally-some-honesty-on-obamacare/

41 Replies
greenhouse man
Senior Contributor

Re: Obama care reality

Using Logic and facts will not help you in this debate. As with all liberal beliefs, they are mostly based on emotions and not facts or experiences. You will not get thru to them until the pain felt from this is seen by them. It was easy to predict the outcome of all this.

Also on the Global warming junk..... They will never admit they no nothing more than we do. When emotions rule your every move, hate and pride are the main drivers. And that's what they will accuse you of first. If you'll take note, most Lib's will always accuse you of what they are guilty of as a preemptive shot across the bow. They are probably going to attack you instead of debating the issue.

Samnospam
Advisor

The saying goes don't blame on malice what can be explain by incompetence, er something to that point, but the legislation is so bad, such a complete mess, incomprehensibly awful that you have to think the intent was to destroy the system. Did they buy off the insurers who wrote the legislation by telling them they'd have x number of years to pillage the populace then they'd be put out of business? I don't know. We'll all just need to figure a way around it. If you're currently on a high deduct plan it should be possible to pay cash for routine care, pay the tax, then buy a policy if you get seriously I'll.
TuffyF
Senior Contributor

Liberals refuse to even look at anything that doesn't support their views. Different views are to liberals what sunlight is to vampires.They cant argue truth cause the facts dont support them. If they were secure in their belief they wouldn't feel threatened by other views and use ridicule towards you and your beliefs as an excuse to not seek opposing views.

Like you said liberals beliefs are based on emotions not facts and they believe the bigger fit they throw the more credible they appear.  Its that ole the louder you get the more right you must be.   They use the same scare tactics they accuse you of using to avoid educating themselves. They will throw their love of their children in front of you insinuating their love is somehow greater than yours. Shine the sunlight on them and they just skitter back into the dark crevice of oblivion. 

I think that's why their so angry.  Your mind automatically seeks balance and wants to make sense of things.  When your views dont have a solid base,  somewhere in there your brain says this doesn't make sense and it makes you crazy trying to defend it.

hardnox604008
Advisor

lol.

As Paul Craig Roberts says (close paraphrase)"  in my youth I was deeply frustrated by the unwillingness of liberals to listen to opposing views; today it is the conservatives who are immune to reason."

For example,  so just how badly are other economies that are being subjected to the leech cure of austerity perform before anyone on the ri9ght reconsiders their beliefs?

Answer is until collapse.

Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

And you are putting out facts? It seems that since it hasn't started that everyone is only expressing what they THINK or WANT to happen based on their beliefs! You said it correctly when you said that hate and pride drive most people and that includes YOU and everyone else on here. Climb down off your high horse!
Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

That's what I love about righties--they are so humble and self-rightgeous. They are always the only OPINION in town! Everyone else is just a liar!
r3020
Senior Advisor

@Snooky1953 wrote:
That's what I love about righties--they are so humble and self-rightgeous. They are always the only OPINION in town! Everyone else is just a liar!

If you are so concerned, cancel your coal fired energy account and put up a windmill so you quit contributing to global meltdown. Oh yeah, also turn in your guns.

Faust100F
Advisor

3020 - I have a better Idea for the gal whining about paying out $140K for the Insurance on 90 employees.  Since the managers already get health insurance paid for, let them help share the burden.  

Divide the $140K between the management employees.  Add up each management salary and the total will equal 100%.  Then determine what percentage of the total each management salary is.   Then take those percentages times the $140K and the calculated amount will be the amount management salaries will be reduced.  

That is how you solve the problem.  If the managers want to walk . . . and seek employment elsewhere, the total cost will then be reduced by the managers leaving the company, and the balance would then be reallocated to the remaining managers.  

Kinda looks to me if she wants to fire 40 employees to save $140K, she should also be fireing those managers who supervise those employees.  Fewer employees equal fewer managers.   That i what I would do if I owned the company.  Fewer employees may attribute to lower profits.  

A companies salesman, and production employees are much more valuable than a salaried employee sitting on his ass, feeding off the work of others.  Does the word Drone ring a bell.   Adios Amigo.  No Charge for the solution to this health care cost problem.    John

TuffyF
Senior Contributor

Take a gander around this site shows where a few billion is going.

http://www.hhs.gov/recovery/programs/index.html

Not much going into actual "health care" it seems.  Most of the treatment research areas I read through seemed to conclude  the best treatment was whatever was the least expensive. 

http://www.hhs.gov/recovery/announcements/index.html

A huge chunk of money is going toward getting the national database for EHR Electronic Health Records.  They also changed the HIPPA laws and Dr.s now are allowed without fear of repercussions    to release your medical and psychiatric information to whomever they see fit if they feel you may be instable.  The wording is such that could have a very broad interpretation. 

The letter is at  hhs.gov   gotonationhcp-pdf.