cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Re: Well Mr. 3020 - you have no basis in fact or law

How did the law abiding citizen become suspected of terrorist activities and get on the no fly list? Is that supposed to be Tim McVeigh?

r3020
Senior Advisor

Why this? Guns for them but not us.

snip-

There are now more non-military government employees who carry guns than there are U.S. Marines, according to a new report.

Open the Books, a taxpayer watchdog group, released a study Wednesday that finds domestic government agencies continue to grow their stockpiles of military-style weapons, as Democrats sat on the House floor calling for more restrictions on what guns American citizens can buy.

The “Militarization of America” report found civilian agencies spent $1.48 billion on guns, ammunition, and military-style equipment between 2006 and 2014. Examples include IRS agents with AR-15s, and EPA bureaucrats wearing camouflage.

“Regulatory enforcement within administrative agencies now carries the might of military-style equipment and weapons,” Open the Books said. “For example, the Food and Drug Administration includes 183 armed ‘special agents,’ a 50 percent increase over the ten years from 1998-2008. At Health and Human Services (HHS), ‘Special Office of Inspector General Agents’ are now trained with sophisticated weaponry by the same contractors who train our military special forces troops.”

Open the Books found there are now over 200,000 non-military federal officers with arrest and firearm authority, surpassing the 182,100 personnel who are actively serving in the U.S. Marines Corps

http://freebeacon.com/issues/now-bureaucrats-guns-u-s-marines/

bruce MN
Advisor

As long as there are quasi-organized groups and movements who openly threaten hard working civil employees with death and bodily harm, such as that bunch of dimestore cowboy trespassers and welshers that you are so enamored with. I my mailman, and lifetime neighbor and friend packing in so long as there are people like that on the loose.

And if the DNR and the EPA ever get up the nerve to confront the Posse Comitatis farmer a few miles from here who releases a rail car load of sediment into the river upstream from us I'd prefer, based on his open declaration that those SOBs will be sorry if they ever darken his door, be armed as well.

Those people are husbands, wives, partners, brothers, sisters, Dads and Moms and friends to millions of people.

If, as you Wayne's kids think, that every Mom who takes her children to a Disney matinee should have a Glock in her purse in spite of incalculably short odds of danger, then it only makes sense for people who live daily under widespread and eerily popular threats of Harm to there persons from obviously delusional and unstable, anti-social people be as well.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Gopher Posting

So your question, were it on subject, is really why should commissioned Federal officers have firearms if we are not going to allow suspected terrorists to buy them? Do I really need to answer that?

And might I remind you this is about whether or not  people on the no fly list that are suspected of being terrorists, or have colaborated with others on terrorism planning and activities, should be able to buy guns. In case you forgot, which it seems that you have, this is about suspected terrorists on the no fly list being able to buy guns or not.

Try and remember the subject or at least tie into it. It's hard to debate a gopher because you never know where they will pop up.

r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: Gopher Posting

Next time they need to sit in Terry McAuliffe's office. The best friend a violent criminal ever had. He's not worried about your safety, he's worried about being re-elected.

snip-

As congressional Democrats spent the week pressing for the passage of new gun control legislation, violent felons in Virginia were able to take steps towards having their right to own a firearm restored thanks to action taken by the state’s Democratic Gov. Terry McAuliffe.

When McAuliffe restored the voting rights for 206,000 felons in a move critics say was politically motivated, he also opened the door for those felons to have their right to own a firearm restored.

Previously, felons would individually have to petition the executive branch to have their civil rights restored. Petitioners would have to fill out an application to the secretary of the commonwealth and submit a letter to the governor explaining why they deserve to have their rights restored.

Decisions were made on a case-by-case basis. This was abandoned when McAuliffe restored the rights for both violent and nonviolent felons, eliminating the need for any application.

Included in the civil rights McAuliffe granted through his sweeping order is the ability to petition a local circuit court judge to restore firearms rights. The secretary of the commonwealth warned the courts that this would cause a spike in gun rights requests.

Among the individuals who have already taken advantage of the change is Rodell Callahan, a 36-year-old man who has a long history of violent behavior.

Callahan was first convicted in 1998 for holding up two women at gunpoint in a Virginia mall. He earned his second felony conviction in 2004 for beating up a woman he had a child with. He has had multiple domestic violence convictions since 2013.

Callahan, who had his civil rights restored by McAuliffe’s executive order, applied to have his gun rights restored earlier this month.

“If the governor trusts me to get my rights back … why won’t the circuit court trust me to get my firearm license?” Callahan said in an interview with the Richmond Times-Dispatch. “With everything going on in the world, it’s crazy. You got people shooting up nightclubs.”

Circuit courts can reject applications, but local prosecutors say the whole review burden has been shifted to them and they don’t have the resources to do extensive research for each firearms license request.

It had previously been standard practice to use the executive branch’s approval of a felon’s application as the “main factor” for the restoration of gun rights, according to Joel Branscom, a commonwealth attorney in a rural Virginia county.

“That’s always been the main factor,” Branscom told the Washington Post. “Once the governor has weighed in, it’s been pretty regular [practice] for them to get their rights restored. That meant something.”

McAuliffe has written off the complaints by attorneys who oppose the measure on grounds that they will not be able to handle all the gun rights requests.

“Do your job. I do mine,” said McAuliffe earlier this week. “And I don’t complain about my workload.”

Jason Pelt, a Virginia lawyer specializing in gun rights restoration, says he has received more than two dozen calls from potential clients in recent weeks.

“The most anti-gun governor in a long time in Virginia just made it incredibly easy for felons to get guns,” Pelt told the Washington Post.

http://freebeacon.com/issues/violent-felons-trying-get-gun-rights-back-virginia/

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Ye Gopher Poster

So what would be your guess as to what I think about  Terry McAuliffe's decision? What would I say? In your gopher opinion that is.....You can be sure I know what I would say and already have it in mind. I suspect you will avoid an answer and pop up somewhere else.

r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: Ye Gopher Poster

The question is what do the occupiers think of the McAuliffe decision. Are they willing to stand up to him. And why don't they explain how what they want would have stopped the Orlando massacre. Ted Kennedy was once on the no fly list but the Orlando shooter was not. It took Ted Kennedy 3 weeks to get removed from the list. The government probably paid his legal fees. How long would it take Joe Sixpack to get his named removed and how much would that cost.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Ye Super Gopher Poster Redux II

Geeze, you really are a gopher! One never know where you will pop up.

My answer for the question you avoided: Felons should not be allowed to purchase firearms. I agree with the law. Of course you know I would have said that, so you tunneled instead.

The truth is that suspected terrorists and people who have helped to plan terrorist activities should not be able to buy firearms, period. I would think you should agree but your programming by the NRA says no. Just admit it and get over it. Just say that "suspected" terrorists should be able to buy guns; period.

r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: Ye Super Gopher Poster Redux II

Who determines who is a terrorist? What if the Donald Trump DHS says you are a terrorist? You are on the list not only without due process but without even the knowledge. Then how long the process and cost to have yourself removed? You are guilty until proven innocent. I don't want that.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Finally not a gopher...

You actually addressed the issue head on! So you believe that people who have been in contact with terrorists, are suspected of planning terrorist activities and no deemed safe enough to board a plane should be able to buy firearms because they might just be Donald Trump. Fine. At least you finally admit your ideals, and are no longer evading your belief.

I disagree because unlike you, I think that if the FBI, TSA, CIA or whoever may not be dumbasses or trying to take guns away from Donald Trump or law aiding citizens. I think they occasionally make a mistake, but usually not and their protection is worth a few errors. I believe that they are generally well trained people, knowledgable about security risks and doing their best to protect us all. I think that you believe they are wll worthless scum. So be it. That is the hart of the matter. You think you know more than a seasoned officer looking for terrorists and our interests.