cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Odd, how rich I am

Not once in my life have I seen a teacher pitch material manure and sweat.  The only manure they pitch is the same as you.

You epitomize the quote by Reagan; "trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn’t so."

And in your case you only know a few words to state you opinon.

Senior Contributor

By the way, what's with woo?  Are you one of those?  You want to woo me?  "to solicit or entreat especially with importunity"

Or, did you mean woe?  Those keys are far apart so I doubt it was an accidental keyboard miss as Bruce is prone to do.  I think it was a very Freudian slip.

Veteran Advisor

That post calls for a reiteration on your catchy little phrase at the end of your posts.

You have never said anything more true than that.  Your knowledge is no better than someone else's ignorance.  Amen BROTHER!!!

Advisor

How closely do you actually know and have any degree of social contact with any public school teachers? My instincts tell me that you most likely repel them, and vice versa.

But you are consistent. You pose a percieved reverse anecdote. You haven't actually seen this legendary thing so therefore you know considerable of it.

Have you sat on or run for the local school board?

Veteran Advisor

Re: most over paid profession

you know if a child did that today during a recess, the first two calls would be to PETA and probably to the local police department and he would have months of therapy ahead.

"little gophers are people, too"

Senior Contributor

Re: bottom of the class

I have heard it said that teachers that did not top the class made better teachers because they were more understanding of students who found learning harder.

Some who pick everything up the first time they hear it have no patience with someone who struggles to learn.

I think a good teacher is one who is patient with the kids, who 'incites' a curiosty in the students to learn. Don't think it matters where they stood in the class rank if they do not like kids and teaching they will not make good teachers.

Our personal goal as parents and now grand parents was to get the kids hooked on reading. Once they enjoy reading the teacher does not make much difference, the kid will still learn on their own.

Senior Contributor

Re: Old man

You have a few years on me but I can agree with most of your points.

Senior Contributor

Re: 1 room school

Old man I also went to a 1 room school with 28-32 students in 7 classes most years (we had 1 year with no students).

I am a few years younger than you but there had been students go to high school before me as my father went to that school, and although he did not go on, some of his siblings did. To go to high school then they had to board in town.

The first rural school bus started running the 1st year I started school, the girl next door walked the mile up the road to our school house to catch the bus. No pickup at the gate then. 

Senior Contributor

His ignorance, bruce is the reason why he should never BE on a school board. He is the typical Michelle Bachmann voter! Completely devoid any conscious thought.

Advisor

Best advice ever. And unfortunately the only way we have to get early reading going is to have aggressive and expensive early childhood education programs available outside the home. Sad but true. Teaching what was passsed along at home in sam's 1840s. The last thing an illiterate mommy wants to do is expose herself as being so to her child. If you've got the stomach for the generally disturbing tone of it the oscar winner oif a couple of years ago "precious" hits it on the nuts