cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Well, Sha-zam!

This post takes the cake.  Do you really believe turning a 12-18 year old kid loose with the internet will achieve scholastic success?  You may very well have learned the things you say on the interenet, but it was because you wanted to learn these things.  Children do not even know what they need to learn.  There's a reason most schools have locks from certain things in place.  If a person really wanted to learn how to make meth., I'm sure there's information on the internet to do so.  While the internet might be a great tool, it will never by itself teach students what they need to be learning.  There's also a lot of information on the internet that simply isn't accurate.  

While I might be totally off base here, I'm of the opinion that the decline in education starts and stops at the homes.  How many parents read to their children?  How many parents practice writing and such with their children?  Instead, they simply turn on the electronic babysitter better known as the television.  Most kids today spend their summer vacation time in front of a tv or video game console rather than outside.  While there are some shows and games that are educational, kids aren't watching or playing these games because in most cases they're left unattended.  I don't understand how people can come down on the education system all the while believing they should be doing more.  Schools shouldn't have to worry about physical education.  Kids should be getting more than enough exercise riding bikes and such before and after school rather than parking their rearends on the sofa in front of the tube.  Kids shouldn't be learning sex education in schools.  Parents should be teaching these things.  When a student falls behind in their reading skills, math skills, etc.; parents should be the ones helping them catch up rather than the teacher holding all the rest of the class back for a few.  

Since you opened the can of worms with regards to homeschooled children, I'll ask you this:  how many of those homeschooled kids that you know have a stay-at-home mother or father?  I know several homeschooled kids as well, and they do test higher than those in public education.  They're in a much small class size normally one to two.  They get a lot more one on one time.  However, I have also seen some areas of huge concern locally with regards to homeschooling.  The college dropout rate is pretty high around here for homeschooled kids because they don't learn the social skills by interacting with other kids their age like the public schooled kids do.  Once they become a little fish in a big pond like a land grant college, they just don't adapt real well.  I have some problems with public education such as rewarding poor teachers as much as good teachers.  However, this is no reason to go off the deep end and believe the internet will teach our future generations everything they need to know.       

Advisor

Re: Odd, how rich I am

Yea I'm sure, in your mind, a parent with a child on their lap teaching phonics is inferior to a teacher teaching 25 kids sight words as if English were Chinese.
Senior Contributor

Re: most over paid profession

Maybe we should relearn the "TEN COMMANDMENTS" and live by them  - It was never adopted world wide and never will be.  It is only the believers who read them.  Very few of them follow to the letter, in fact I do not know one single person who has followed them to the letter.   You have to be suspicious of someone who would not want to break th shackles of the ten commandents.  Man --------- there is some fun to be had outside that lot.

Senior Contributor

Husker, I agree you can not simply tell a class room of students to turn on their computers and learn their lessons without needing some type of supervision. 

I had never heard of Khan Academy before but saw a report on the nightly news a couple of days ago about them and wish it had been around while our kids were in school.  I could have used it when they came home asking for help on the Algebra and I realized just how much I had forgotten over the last 40 years.  

Sal Khan started making videos to send to cousins to help tudor them in math.  Seems his homemade videos were very good at getting the lesson across while at the same time fun for kids to follow without getting bored so easily.  His videos got the attention of Bill Gates who gave millions of dollars to help fund what is now known as Khan Academy.  They have 2100 videos and 100 self-paced exercises that cover everything from arithmetic to physics, finance, and history. The best part is it is all free for anyone to use.

Looks like it might be a great tool for students or even adults to use to brush up on certain courses.  I don't think it is a replacement for all teachers but could be a valuable source for kids having trouble comprehending what some teachers are trying to teach them.

If any parents out there have students that try any of Khans videos, I would be curious to hear how they liked them and if it helped them.

Senior Contributor

Re: most over paid profession

what is a th oh low wq

Advisor

Do the homeschooled kids lack social skills or proper conditioning? A good deal of my time is spent unlearning my children the social skills they pick up at school.