cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kurt#1
Senior Contributor

Off politics, but about vacuums and dust cyclones.

I find it both odd and bizarre that I can purchase a shop vacuum with a 6 hp (advertised) motor and a 6 gallon tank along with a hose and some attachments for less than $60.  

But Oneida Dust Deputy Deluxe Cyclone Separator cost is $99.95 and has no moving parts (except some crappy little wheels for the bucket)

https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-deputy/wet-dry-vacuum-kits/dust-deputy-deluxe-cyclone-separator-kit

4 Replies
KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Re: Off politics, but about vacuums and dust cyclones.

Looks like something you could make. It's probably useful for some construction uses like picking up drywall dust without clogging up your shop vac.

Kurt#1
Senior Contributor

They work extremely good for woodworking.  Under normal use in a shop with planers, sanders,saws and jointers you create a lot of sawdust and wood chips.  A shop vac filter fills quickly and renders the vac useless.  Then you have to open it, and clean the filter.  With the cyclone thing it fills a bucket, you pop the top and empty it.  Then right back to work.  

I'm not gonna say anything about this vacuum, as I haven't tried it whatsoever. The description of it, though, is quite nice. But if i were you, I would go and make a test drive for it, for just in case. My wife has recently ordered a dust collector and she is very happy with the investment she made. Here is their webpage, in case you would like to visit site and see their offers. Who knows, maybe you find something suitable. In any case, vacuum cleaners have to be very powerful, otherwise you will have to take your carpets to cleaning services for a deep clean.

jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

Oh yeah, I’m going to pull up my wall to wall carpeting, and take it somewhere to be cleaned. 

I don’t know many people who use a shop vac, to vacuum their carpets.   And when ordering carpet for our hot tub room loft a few days ago, I learned that some manufacturers of carpet like Mohawk won’t warranty their carpet if you use a strong vacuum cleaner (specifically mentioned - a Dyson like we have) to do the cleaning.   How about you just go with Gooby - and infect some other site?

Jen