cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh, Deer!

Oh DEER! One of our bus drivers with a heart of gold, spotted a young deer with its foot snagged in a fence, along her route. That was last Monday, and she tried to get someone from DNR to free the deer. Nothing happened. She mentioned the situation to the bus drivers at the bus barn, after 3 days. This morning I asked her about the deer, and she said that it was still hung up on the wire. I said, "okay,.... I'm going for a drive and see what I can do".
I can't bear to see an animal suffer, so I drive out to the Madison County line, and locate the deer in the fence. It still , unbelievably , looked in good shape, other than its cut up foot.
After freeing the leg, the deer couldn't run, as its leg was numb from being caught in the wire for five days. I didn't want it to get run over on the road, so I picked it up and put it in a mowed hay field. I hope that Mama deer finds it and it recovers from the past several days of agony.

image.jpeg

Ouch!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

7 Replies
man of steel
Senior Contributor

Re: Oh, Deer!

You are deplorable.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Kudos Craig.  those rascals get tangled like that, heck to see them suffer.

NewAgJudge
Senior Contributor

What you mean nothing happened ? What did she do send out a tweet to DNR ?

I would have had someone there within the hour.

Next time, don't wait 3 days

northnd
Senior Contributor

Wow!! Your wildlife officials must take notes from those in North Dakota. A couple of years ago we had a sick moose wandering around my parents and neighbors yards. Called them on Wednesday and they said "yeah, see if we can get over there". On Friday morning it was laying dead in the neighbors yard. He was elderly and asked me to call again. Not making this up the official stated "you do know it's Friday, we will see if we can get over your way on Monday". So, ended up chaining it to tractor, digging a hole and buried it. They never did show up. Typical state/federal agency response.

The lady driver called the DNR several times and got nowhere. They said that they might check it out after the 18th, as they were too busy to deal with it.   Then she called the sheriff's office and they said that they would go out and shoot it if they get a chance. 

That is when she told us drivers about it. She felt awful that the kids on the bus kept seeing that little deer hanging on the wire. 

That is why I took care of it myself. I can't believe that no one on that road bothered to free it. 

I told my veterinarian about it, and showed him a video of it moving around, and he was pretty mad that no one at the DNR would bother to take care of it. He was sure that it had hip displacia from hanging so long and he said that he would go out into the hay field, and if he could find it, humanely put it down. The deer would never use that leg again and die slowly. 

I am so angry that, as usual, government people lets things suffer, because they just don't give a damn. I felt so sorry for that deer. I spent a long time with it petting it and talking to it, trying to make it feel better. 😞

northnd
Senior Contributor

Millie, if there is one immutable fact I have learned about our government in my life, it is they care about as much for you and I as that deer.

Re: +1!