cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Oh, the horror of it

Congressional freshmen tea partiers have to decide whether to vote WITH Obama to cut spending or with boehner to spend on a new engine for a new jet fighter which Obama and Def. Sec. Gates both say is a huge waste of money but which would be made in Ohio which boehner represents!!  Such a dilemma!!!!  Maybe we'll (and they) will see how things REALLY work!

15 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Oh, the horror of it

Bart if you follow this through please keep us posted on how the vote goes and if the spending bill was tied in with other spending matters.

Veteran Advisor

The gop has already tied their budget to the appropriations bill which, if not passed, will leave the rest of the year unfunded in the federal govt.

It would seem that most people in this country know there is a problem but the majority want someone else to suffer other than themselves and independents more so than either party.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/08599204956800

Veteran Advisor

Beyond the ideology aspect of it, numerous parts of that jet engine are produced or manufactured in numerous states, to include Illinois. That's the real reason why so much latitude of the defense industry is given, and supposedly 46 out of 50 states are being represented in the industry. They(the defense industry) have managed to spread the parts of it around so as not to rely on a just a few politicians, or even one side of the aisle.

Veteran Advisor

Yes, I understand that but this particular engine was a major deal in boehner's home state and he was pushing hard for it.

Veteran Advisor

I don't know much about the specific issue, but we have seen time and again the kabuki theatre of politics whereas a politician would come out publicly against something, only after the passage of it is secure and only because they may be facing a tough reelection in the near future and want to be able to profess their resistance to something. We recently saw  just that where a handful of the teabaggers voted against certain parts or all of the Patriot Act............only to vote for it later.

That's why s##t NEVER changes, because both sides are often in favor of the same things, but use the scripted theatrics of things to portray a given image. The ones that really irk me is when key people on a committee will feign resistance or "misgivings" to something, just to use it to attract the lobbyist money, and it always does.

Veteran Advisor

I don't know if you go the chance to look at these clips, but it seems obious that people who are in office and need to stand electio can't say what Mr. Sotckman and Mr. Simpson seem free to, unecumbered by poititics.  Sad to say, Simpson was on the deficit commission which has now become a big political football just like everythig else, particularily with the Murdoch empire and the rest of the winger press:

http://community.agriculture.com/t5/Ag-Forum/Stockman-and-Simpson-for-co-interim-dictators/m-p/54749

Veteran Advisor

I haven't read your links yet, but do you think that he would be singing the same tune if he was still in office, or more to the point, if he didn't have a new book out??

I don't.

Veteran Advisor

Confused by your question. Who are you refering to as "he"?

Veteran Advisor

Stockman has recently come onto the scene, and was definitely one of Reagan's testicles, and hasn't been heard of for quite a long time. Granted people know OF him, and his arguments now consist of going against the very things that he was a major player in instituting.

He sounds more like a criminal sitting on death row that suddenly is an amoral, god-fearing/loving person, while waiting out their time for the the needle or chair.

His coincidental appearance on the political scene with his "suggestions" about economic maneuvers just happens to be the exact same time as his book comes out. Not only that, but what has he spent his time doing since the 80s, along with the known obvious gratuitous paid positions on various think tanks that have manipulated things to where we are now, and he's suddenly against those same things now?

How does he have ANY credibility whatsoever???