cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

On best day, pro sports not woke enough

Look at MLB, they have "walls" up to keep poor people out, they require a I.D to buy a beer.  Look at the NBA men are paid way more than their WNBA counter parts.  The media doesn`t report on that wage inequity.  How many trans players are on a pro football team?  Shouldn`t half the players be trans?   

Aren`t all sports "merit based"?  Isn`t that inequitable?  Shouldn`t someone batting  100 make the same salary as someone that bats 400?  Shouldn`t a benchwarmer make the same salary as a player that routinely scores 40 points per game? 

No, all pro sport have to go!

12 Replies
bruce MN
Advisor

Re: On best day, pro sports not woke enough

You should probably forego that one game you attend every 9 or 10  years when the co-op has the Winfield or Harvest State tickets. 

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I`m not the target audience of the "free Winfield tickets" anymore, if I won them I`d throw `em in the trash as to show an empty seat if nothing else. 

I only want to make you liberal sports fans feel bad because of the hypocrisy of enjoying your "circuses" that have a totally easier set of rules than those of us that who are sweating producing your "bread".

rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: Media doesn't report ...

The media "doesn't report that inequity", maybe your media, Fox & company doesn't but it's a reoccurring story with the MSM I listen to.

But you're right, pro sports isn't "woke" nearly enough, look at the PGA not pulling out of Georgia, for instance. 

And why, maybe because golf is a sport for rich white conservative men who don't think there's anything wrong with blatant Jim Crow voter suppression.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Media doesn't report ...

So where are you woke ESPN types going to boycott the NBA until they bring the WNBA up to their pay scale?  You know damned well that`s a taboo subject, way easier for hypocrite Democrats to get on a stump and hammer private companies for allegedly paying women workers 80¢ on the man`s dollar for "doing the same work" ..hire all women would be my answer were that truly the case.

Last year, of the $60 million in revenue of the WNBA, about $12.3 million is paid out to the players, which equates to just over 20% of the total revenue. When comparing this to the NBA, which is a 50-50 split of revenue (NBA pays out 50% of revenue to players), it may seem unfair.Dec 2, 2020

Edmund55
Senior Contributor

(You should probably forego that one game you attend every 9 or 10  years when the co-op has the Winfield or Harvest State tickets.) 

You don't have to attend a game to support MLB, all you have to do is buy stuff from China:

MLB caves to pressure & moves draft & #AllStarGame out of Georgia on the same week they announce a deal with a company backed by the genocidal Communist Party of #China.

rsbs
Veteran Advisor

covid hysteria is probably saving the majors from acknowledging how many empty seats they will have going forward due to their odd strategy to try to get rid of half of their fan base.

"restricting" our publicly financed stadiums to 10,000 fans helps save face, at least in the short run.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Red, this overreach is done on purpose, Charles Barkley is even saying so. 

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/charles-barkley-racial-injustice-issues-circus

“What’s happening now is we’re turning into a circus,” Barkley said. “Instead of talking about racial equality, racial justice, and economic justice, we spend all our time worrying about who’s kneeling and not kneeling, what things are being said on buses, what’s being said on jerseys. I think we’re missing the point."

“We need police reform, prison reform. Those are No. 1 and No. 2 things to focus on,” Barkley added. “We need the cops, good cops out there policing bad cops. … When we spend time focusing on what’s on the jersey, that’s gonna defeat purpose. My concern is this is turning into a circus instead of trying to do some good stuff.”

ESPN’S JAY WILLIAMS SLAMS NBA PLAYERS FOR ‘TONE-DEAF’ BUBBLE COMPLAINTS

The always outspoken Barkley has a problem with the players sporting social justice messages on the backs of their jerseys when the NBA restarts its season at the end of the month in Orlando, Florida at the Walt Disney World Resort. Some of the messages that the players can choose from include “Black Lives Matter”, “I Can’t Breathe”, “Freedom”, and “Equality.”

“We are in a divided country,” Barkley added. “Sports used to be a place where fans could go and get away from reality. Now it’s such a mixture. It’s going to be fascinating watching what happens with the fans. Fans are at a disadvantage, they’re going through the pandemic. They don’t want to see a bunch of rich people talking about stuff all the time. I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer.

“People lost jobs and the last thing they want to do is turn on the television to hear arguments about stuff all the time. It’s going to be very interesting to see how the public reacts," he added.

sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

It's imo a fairly ridiculous proposition for athletes in the NBA and nfl, mertiocracies dominated by one race, to demand equivalent outcomes.  Equal justice under the law is all one should expect.

bruce MN
Advisor

Denver

Good choice 

I’d  have also considered Seattle, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Oakland or....of course..Minneapolis.

But, good pick. Have the Columbine HS Chorus sing The National Anthem.