cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

Re: One crowded house

20, I doubt that Bruce is "uniformed". Even if he was in the military, I don't think he still wears his uniformed
Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

So what I am gathering here is the Postal Service delivered 23000 pieces of mail to one address with 23000 different names??? And they did it to several other places across the country?? Were these addresses perhaps H & R tax HQs?
Craig's Brother
Senior Contributor

@Snooky1953 wrote:
So what I am gathering here is the Postal Service delivered 23000 pieces of mail to one address with 23000 different names??? And they did it to several other places across the country?? Were these addresses perhaps H & R tax HQs?

H&R Block receives their payments by direct deposit, silly man.

• IRS management is not concerned with addressing fraudulent applications in the ITIN Operations Department because of the job security that the large inventory of applications to process provides. Management is interested only in the volume of applications that can be processed, regardless of whether they are fraudulent.
  • IRS management has indicated that no function of the IRS, including Criminal Investigation and the Accounts Management Taxpayer Assurance Program, is interested in dealing with ITIN application fraud.2 In the meantime, there is a potential that erroneous tax refunds are going to nonqualifying individuals, allowing them to defraud the Federal Government of billions of dollars.
  • Fraud can result from lax requirements for documentation submitted with an ITIN application to prove identity and foreign status. Unlike the Social Security Administration (SSA), which requires an individual to submit “original” documents to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN), the IRS accepts notarized copies of documents for ITINs. In addition, the IRS does not question the validity or authenticity of notary stamps because it is difficult to stay up-to-date on State laws governing notaries. ITIN Operations Department employees are not trained on what factors constitute a real document versus a fake one. Further, the IRS accepts copies of these documents.
  • Accepting copies of required documentation has led to the creation of fictitious identities in the IRS’s ITIN Real-Time System,3 making it difficult if not impossible to later determine if the specific individual assigned an ITIN is or ever was a real person.

http://www.treasury.gov/tigta/auditreports/2012reports/201242081fr.pdf