cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OKdon
Senior Contributor

One factor to consider

Minimum wage iniatives are on the ballot in four states. Arkansas, Nebraska, South Dakota and Alaska. In all 4 cases Public polls show that the people favor increasing the minimum wage by at least 2 to 1.

The question is what impact will that have on the elections if the working folks amass at the ballot box?

32 Replies
Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

Re: One factor to consider

Lay-offs will be forthcoming. The question is, what impact will it have on the elections if the working folks find themselves laid-off, because no one can afford to employ them? What will it do to the high school / college kids that need a job and no one will hire a kid, without much/any experience, at the the higher rates???

I do suppose that it will be a huge benefit to the manufacturers of robots, that will replace the human workers.
OKdon
Senior Contributor

That tired old argument was proven wrong back in the clinton era. Remember mr. godfather "# 9-9-9" himself telling us how many businesses will shut down. Of course the Clinton boom proved him wrong.

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

It always amazes me how you righties love to belt the hell out of a minimum wage. It is like you want to return to the days of slavery. If you have kids you are virtually forcing them into a life of poverty at McDonalds etc.

Where do you get this absurd thought that the country will go into a deep recession if given a basis wage? As for massive layoffs, that is the usual threats by businesses but we know that is not true. But working people like yourself wanting to ignore a minimum wage doesn't add up. You can have it and vote repub too. You will not be damned to hell if you do not worship at the alter of extreme capitalism. But for those who can't think, it would come naturally.
RJG640v8
Senior Contributor

Really..... ????

fear, fear, fear, all the time, that is what you preach non stop. Moving min wage to $10/hr is going to do what you said.........??

I paid that wage over ten years ago to kids helping throw hay bales........ I did not lose the farm, or have to sell out, or go bankrupt.

Just like you fearmongering that if Gay Marriage comes about that people would start marrying relatives and pets....... been a bunch of Gay Marriages now,  still have not heard about anyone marrying their mom or dog..........

Veteran Advisor

My daughter is currently working at a bridal shop, for minimum wage. She is gaining very valuable work experience in an area that she loves to be working in. This is her first real job. As she gains experience , she will be more valuable to her employer and will be compensated more. If the wage would have been set much higher, she would not have had this job. It is perfect for her, right now.
In the hay business, I went to all mechanical hay handling because of labor issues.
Every action by a controlling Central Powers, has vast consequences.
Veteran Advisor

Re: Really..... ????

Straw Man.
Veteran Advisor

Let's make minimum wage, TWENTY bucks an hour! You tell me what would happen.
OKdon
Senior Contributor

Yeh right! like everyone is sharing in the promise of america. Your daughter couldm find herself still working for $7.25 in 2020. Don't believe me. Ask those folks that are in their thirties still working for minimum wage.

OKdon
Senior Contributor

You won't support $10 per hour but you use that old Limbaugh canard about raising the minimum wage to $100 dollars an hour as if a $3 raise is as ludicrous as $13 raise. In fact people aren't marrying their dog either or their mother or their sister or any of the nonsense you spout.

The truth is the people will vote in those states and they will do the deciding, not you!