cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Bush was an amateur compared to Obama

The high cost of food is more due to the high cost of energy for processing and transportation than the cost of the raw ingredients such as corn. Mileage does not suffer at all with blends up to 30% because of the higher octane of ethanol and it burns more completely deliver more power to the wheels and less of it going out of the tail pipe. Going to hard to vilify ethanol with the blender's credit and tariff gone plus we are up against the blending wall producing more than the mandate with the surplus going for export. Hard to vilify the mandate when what is being mandated is cheaper than gasoline. There is no tax dollars being used for ethanol, the industy is also contributing to the economy helping to lower the federal deficit, not it's increase.

Highlighted

At the end it is aobut EROEI and about the declining supply of cheap oil and declining EROEI on that oil.

Not to worry, we've gone far enough down this road that the policy isn't going to turn and frankly we've misdirected enough capital in this direction that it probably makes sense to utilize it. They are sunk costs, irrelevant to discussion about what is already in place.

If recognizing that you've benefitted from a government scam makes you uncomfortable I'd suggest you go buy an Escalade and get over it but avoid the talking points.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

There is more than one way to figure EROEI. If fact, there are probably more than a dozen ways. I saw one where they figured the fuel it took to haul the cattle to market after they ate the DDG. Have never seen one where to figure in a carrier group or two keeping safe the straights of Hormuz.

Highlighted

I've already conceded to some of the more optimistic studies on net energy. There are many that are worse.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@r3020 wrote:

The high cost of food is more due to the high cost of energy for processing and transportation than the cost of the raw ingredients such as corn. Mileage does not suffer at all with blends up to 30% because of the higher octane of ethanol and it burns more completely deliver more power to the wheels and less of it going out of the tail pipe. Going to hard to vilify ethanol with the blender's credit and tariff gone plus we are up against the blending wall producing more than the mandate with the surplus going for export. Hard to vilify the mandate when what is being mandated is cheaper than gasoline. There is no tax dollars being used for ethanol, the industy is also contributing to the economy helping to lower the federal deficit, not it's increase.

Apparently, that is not correct, 20. Ethanol has one of the least amount of BYU's per gallon, so that statment can't be true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_gallon_equivalent

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

With the mis-information, Cougar it getting, it's not hard to see how uninformed he is. You need to change your source, Cougar, ONE THAT TELLS THE TRUTH!

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

That should be enough to shut them up, but it won't.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

GTO, plenty of conflicting studies. Wish we had blending pumps here so I could run my own study. I do know once we switched to e10 here on the farm the old gas tractors ran 45 minutes to an hour longer on a tank of fuel.