cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

One scarecrow covers how many acres of

corn field to before it loses its effectiveness?

5 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: One scarecrow covers how many acres of

Don't need scarecrows with GMO corn.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

In Grandpa`s day it took 1 scarecrow for every 10 acres.  Today with GPS and Ez-steer a scarecrow is effective for 500 acres.    Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

My PC simulator railroad layout's model farm (the fictitious Boone Farm in Kern County, California near Bakersfield) is certified organic so I have one scarecrow at either end of my 2 1/4 acre corn field.

This farm also has its own private railroad siding to load fresh produce (apples, cherries, dates, olives, lettuce, beets, carrots, tomatoes) onto Southern Pacific's Pacific Fruit Express ventilated refrigerated cars.

Old Farmer Boone is a well-to-do family man with a wife, two boys, 15 Holstein milk cows, two goats, a flock of sheep, a horse stable, a pig sty, untold acres of crop fields, two New Holland harvesters, a few combines, a large hay shed, an old Farm-All tractor, umpteen modern John Deere 4x4 tractors, a couple hay balers, a horse-drawn farm wagon, a silo barn, a Victorian maid, a pair of German shepherd dogs, a mint '54 Oldsmobile as the family farm car, a bright-red '50 Chevy stepside truck and farm hands clad in straw hats and blue overalls. 

Some here may think freight trains coupled with the American agriculture industry to be a bit old-fashioned as well as the windmill in the barn yard. 

Highlighted
Advisor

Off your meds again?

Veteran Contributor

I beg your pardon?

Can't people keep things friendly here?