Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Organic foods

An opinion piece about 'Organic' food.

Makes sense to me.

LONDON - At some point - perhaps it was gazing at a Le Pain Quotidien menu offering an "organic baker's basket served with organic butter, organic jam and organic spread" as well as seasonally organic orange juice - I found I just could not stomach the "O" word or what it stood for any longer.

Organic has long since become an ideology, the romantic back-to-nature obsession of an upper middle class able to afford it and oblivious, in their affluent narcissism, to the challenge of feeding a planet whose population will surge to 9 billion before the middle of the century and whose poor will get a lot more nutrients from the two regular carrots they can buy for the price of one organic carrot.

An effective form of premium branding rather than a science, a slogan rather than better nutrition, "organic" has oozed over the menus, markets and malls of the world's upscale neighborhood at a remarkable pace. In 2010, according to the Organic Trade Association, organic food and drink sales totaled $26.7 billion in the United States, or about 4 percent of the overall market, having grown steadily since 2000. The British organic market is also large; menus like to mention that bacon comes from pampered pigs at the Happy Hog farm down the road.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/07/opinion/roger-cohen-the-organic-fable.html

5 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: more class warfare

Very similar to demonizing those wishing to drive SUVs as their use of fuel drives up the cost for all the poor folks.   You'll note the lastest study that was all over the news about how there is little difference in the nutrients did admit that chemical produce has much more chemical residue than does organic produce.

What really drove the organic market years back was the use of growth hormones and BST in dairy, as well as GMO crops.  If I understand it now, much or most of dairy has stopped with the BST use per their milk buyers' demands.  People still have fears of GMO's, whether or not they are founded...GMO's have definately not been studied enough before their releases. 

To me its all capitalism....somebody selling a better product.  Not to say its necessarily better, but it is sold that way. 

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Heaven forbid Jimmy.  Lets not go to deep on this one and award the responsibility to Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@gough whitlam wrote:

Heaven forbid Jimmy.  Lets not go to deep on this one and award the responsibility to Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gough...the class warfare is certianly coming from the Democrats, of which Obama is currently the leader, but I don't blame him...at least not solely.  He certainly bears some responsibility both with his ads/campaign and with the fact that he could tell his party to knock this **bleep** off.   We won't see that happen because, sadly, class warfare is a winning strategy. 

And before GTO or 'bart or bruce jump on here and claim "ITSTHEREPIGS",  I'll stipulate that yes, the republicans play the class card as well, just in a different way.  And not nearly as prevalent. 

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Organic foods

I have raised non-GMO corn for a guy who raised 'all natural' chickens, and has now gone on to fully 'organic' birds.  He gets a nice premium for the birds he can sell this way, but it is a limited market.  Anyway, to get to the point I was trying to make, they have different standards for different thigs, in 'organic' food.  For example, you cannot use pesticides or herbicides, when farming organically, they have very strict standards for that sort of thing. However, you can't gain one thing without another, as they found out that organically grown grain, has more weeds in it, as well as more bugs.  When stored, you can't even poison rodents within a certain radius of the bin.  So, think about it this way, while it has less of some things, like chemical residues, it has a greater instance of worms, bugs, and rat droppings, but as these jam makers say, they are ORGANIC worms.

http://welovejam.com/aij/?p=324

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Well - if you are prepared to admit that your mob do it also, why is it such a shock when the dems return fire.  Are they not supposed to defend their position? Or are you still believing they do not have a birth right to run the country, like your mob.  Class warfare my foot,  It is election time and anything goes so eat some cement and toughen up a bit.