cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hardnox604008
Advisor

Re: Paul Ryan could balance the budget..

Because I enjoy talking to the wall, I'll point to the UK example as strong confirmation of the Keynesian case regarding austerity following a financialshock induced recession.

To begin with, Romney had no intention of balancing the budget or even reducing the deficit- he was clearly going to work with the Reagan/Shrub playbook where he campaigned on that theme and then turn around and try to stimulate the economy by running bigger deficits via defense spending, massive kickbacks to government contractors (Shrub) and tax cuts.

To which you will say, "who cares, starve the beast, guns, gay marriage...."  Immune to reason, as PCR says.

But anyway, I'm well nigh 100% certain that if an austerian consensus actually emerged we would absolutely go down the drain because once it is philosophically committed to then with each release of worse and worse economic data the solution would be to apply more leeches and the faithful would be totally convinced that if we weren't following this course it would going totally down the drain even faster.

We would be sunk. But that too will be met with "starve the beast, bring down da gummint  empire." etc. Which may all be for the better but I'm thinking not.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Nox, calling cutting wasteful spending, "austerity" isn`t fair, if we fail to prioritize what we do, then there will be a forced austerity.  Assuming that we aren`t just a few short years away from the Black Horse of the Apocalypse and that "man" will have to figure his own way out of this mess.  Perhaps it was a good thing that Romney did lose, because he, having sat at the "other end of the table" would know all the tricks to prolong the inevitable.

Like an alcoholic, we will have to hit rock bottom before any healing can begin.  When I hear non-sense of "2% budget cuts in the sequester is the end of the world!" .....and that was supossed to be something so "horrific" that it would force politicians to come to a agreement????? ....That tells me that the Senate and White House isn`t serious about fixing anything.  I don`t know how many really voted for 0bama and the candy store give-a-way, maybe it wasn`t the 52% of the 1/3 of the country that actually voted, but it`s still a stignificant number of the population that wants someone else to pay their bar tab.  So our work is cut out for us.

I`m convinced at some point soon, if we haven`t passed that point yet, the US debt will have to be written down, like a farmer that bought $3,000 land in 1979 had it written down to $1,000 in 1986, which enabled him to be a BTO today.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Looking at it another way

Having voter ID, would have 'suppressed' 5 of her votes, and she is a minority.   Right there, is proof, where a voter ID law, would have cut the minority vote by 5, in just that one instance.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Looking at it another way

Yes Neb, also the military vote was suppressed, that traditionally goes Republican.  The whole thing makes a guy sick, but on the flip side there are alot of good people out there.  It`s just we are bombarded with the "Kim Kardashians" ...that isn`t the real world.  The real world is a guy in a pickup with a "Bush `04" bumpersticker stopping to help a elderly couple change a flat tire.  I think that we are minor players in a media hoax that rivals the hoax perpetrated by satan when he convinced the world that he did not exisit.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: Looking at it another way

Don't you watch the news?   The military vote wasn't suppressed.   They had to throw out a number of ballots for legitimate reasons, such as mailing them in bulk, which meant that not every individual envelope didn't have the exact proper postmark.  I mean, even though it came off a secure military base, and bore the signature of a soldier stationed there, does not mean their vote should be counted.  It is not suppression, if you throw out a ballot from a military base, because of failure to dot an 'i' or cross a 't''.  After all, rulse are rules.

In contrast, anyone who walks into a precinct, and says they are "John Smith', should be allowed, as long as there is a 'John Smith' in that precinct.   To demand he actually show he is the "John Smith' that lives there, is suppression.  Heck, if there is a 'John Schmidt', he probably should be allowed to vote, just in case he forgot the exact spelling of his name.

You really need to pay attention, to what is 'suppression' and what isn't.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Well, I think even a liberal could balance the budget and get the debt down to almost nothing in far less time than that.  Just cut out Medicare, Medicaid and SS completely, pull the troops out of all foreign countries, cut their pay back to Vietnam era rates--after all 99% of them are pure all American conservative patirots who didn't join the military to make money so their paycheck isn't an incentive to serve--most of this would be right along conservative lines!  Oh, and don't forget the farm subsidies.  After all, everyone should have the right to fail.  Ryan has already said that the gop will not stop until they destroy the healthcare system for all Americans--except those with enough money to not worry about insurance!

GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

And Lyan Ryan, spoke his true feelings yesterday!!

http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2013/03/12/17286141-ryans-unfortunate-slip?lite

GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

The Republicans, don't care about you or anyone but their own kind, rich people, and that doesn't include a bunch of nit-wit farmers.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/03/13/1710571/gop-congressman-admits-republicans-dont-care-wha...

GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

Grayson nails Ryan to the wall. 

Shared at @[108038612554992:274:Americans Against the Tea Party].

GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

ba, being a supposed, Christian man, YOU KNOW WHAT BECOMES OF UNBELIEVERS??