cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

Paycheck Protection

Wisconsin's government has stopped collecting union dues from its employees. The Florida House has voted to do the same. This is a smart move that all employers, public and private, should adopt.

Paychecks are always shot through with deductions. Most are tax-related. In some cases, funds are also deducted from paychecks at workers' direction for charitable causes and for health and life insurance payments.

But no organization or business enjoys the privilege of touching workers' paychecks without a court order or worker permission.

Except unions.

Why should unions be free to use employers as their dues collectors? Lenders can't use employers to collect mortgage or car payments. Department stores are not allowed to use employers to take money out of paychecks to satisfy monthly credit card bills. Neither are utility bills paid through customers' workplaces.

Yet public and private employers are expected to do unions' work for them. Under the current arrangement, employers are required to enter into a business partnership with organizations that are interested only in shaking them down. This makes no sense.

Unions argue that without payroll deductions, it will be harder for them to collect dues. To this we say: Tough. Unions can collect dues the same way all other membership organizations do. There's no reason unions should have access to workers' paychecks that political groups and businesses don't have.

If unions are required to do their own dirty work, it's inevitable that their power over workers will weaken. Without withholding obscuring the real costs, workers will see much more clearly the costs of union membership when the bills come due. They'll wonder if the advantages of membership are worth the price they're paying and demand that the union bosses, who live in luxury off the workers, do a better job of representing them.

In other words, workers can do a little withholding of their own, which will affect not only the bosses' lifestyles but unions' political power. Members who are OK with paying the union to bargain for salary and benefits on their behalf will not be so interested in funding political activity they don't agree with.

For too long, unions have had it easy at the expense of workers, employers, consumers and investors. It's time for policymakers to strip them of their statutory protections and force them to live by the same rules everyone else does.

http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysis/ArticlePrint.aspx?id=567595&p=1

26 Replies
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Re: Paycheck Protection

Who are you trying to kid???  I have been in several unions during my lifetime and EVERYONE of them asked for and got my permission for payroll deductions.  They have to ask for it.  You can refuse just like at the credit union, Dish network or any of several other types of payments but you have to give permission.

Veteran Advisor

Why are the employers forced to be the collector for the unions???????

Hawken Cougar
Senior Contributor

Veteran Advisor

Re: You are simply amazing Bart.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

You are trying very hard to make a back-slider out of me.  I didn't say anything about NOT paying dues.  The point of the whole question was that craig said the union could reach in and take your dues out of your paycheck.  I said that none of the unions that I have ever been in could do that without your permission.  If you wanted to write them a check each month you could but it is easier to have it taken out of your check.  Now if you wish to apologize, I'm all ears.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

You guys have a real concept of the banking business don't you???  NOT!!!

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

That is probably one of the most useless posts you have made.  You totally ignore any kind of logic and reasoning to continue with the asinine partisan crap.  Go for it big guy but leave me out of it.  You won't see it and admit it so no need to waste any more time with it.  Have a good evening.

Hawken Cougar
Senior Contributor

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

None of the 3 govt unions that I have been in had that requirement and none of the 3 non govt unions that I was in had that requirement.  5 of the 6 gave you the option and one you sent them a check for the dues every month.  But you still haven't gotten the main theme of this thread down. That was your accusation that you had to pay dues and had to pay them through payroll deductions but that figures.  No one is saying you don't have to pay dues but you don't have to pay them by payroll deductions.  Can't you get that through your head??  I never said you could get away with NOT paying.  Now I'm through.