cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Re: You think the rest of the world is stupid Kraft?

You are simply amazing.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

Re: You are simply amazing Bart.

GTO, it is none of my business so don't be afraid to tell me that if you don't feel like answering but I'm curious why two electric bills?

Bart, when I worked for CNW Railroad back in the late 70's the union steward asked me my first week of work if I wanted my union dues automatically deducted from my pay check to which I replied "no."  He then asked if I wanted to pay by check once a month to which I again said "no."  When he asked how did I want to pay I said I didn't want to as I had no desire to be in the union.  I think he felt he could fool or intimidate me since I was only 19 years old at the time and he told me I had to belong in the union and pay union dues.  When I told him that was incorrect as Iowa was a right to work state and they could not force me to join the union he gave up and walked away and I never heard from him again.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

I'm sure that goes on a lot but at the same time he said you could pay by check if you wanted to.  The flying cat stated basically that all or most unions required that the employer hold the dues from your check and that was mandatory.  It never happened to me in the many unions that I have been a member of.  Maybe over the years they changed but I never HAD to do it.  I will say that I find it much more convenient to have things done electronically rather than me writing a check.

GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

Why would I be afraid to tell you why I have 2 electric bill? Why should I be intimidated or paranoid, I've nothing to be ashamed of or to hide?

Thanks to the MDOT, when they rebuilt the road in '68 they broke the tile that was supposed to drain my basement, so I have to leave the electricity on to run the danm sumps that keep my furnace from getting drowned.

You seem to think you won some sort of victory, by not joining the Union? YOU DIDN'T! I'll bet their were guys in that Union, that sacrificed so you could play mister indignant and show them, by gawd! No less than I would expect from a GOPher. Shame on you.

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

Settle down a bit.  Craig is pulling everyones chain.  Who ever writes the stuff he copies is further to the right than Ghengis Khan so that is what you might expect. 

All the good old party hacks chime in behind him and the article gets credence.  Isn't it strangbe how the unions are getting a walloping now they have a bit of traction on the govt.  No one uttered a word when the health funds, etc had their way.  The whole post smells of inconsistency.   

The fallacy that unions will be trodden into the ground is totally absurd and this type of propaganda is not the way to do it if they could. Unions have been and always will be as fundamental as breathing so get used to it.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

Take it easy GTO.  I was simply trying to be polite and not stick my nose in other's business or make you feel obligated to answer a question concerning your personal business.  I was in no way suggesting you were paranoid or should be intimidated although your post does tend to give one that impression.  I was simply curious about your two electric bills as I myself have three seperate electric meters at my farm house.

I'm scratching my head tring to figure out how you came to the conclusion I won some sort of victory by not joining the union.  I simply had no desire to join the union because I knew I would only be working for the railroad for a short time.  At the time I was going to college taking a diesel mechanics program.  Myself and my three roommates all taking the same diesel mechanics class applied at the CNW and had to pass a series of

what we referred to as "idiot tests" before getting hired.  CNW ended up hiring myself and two of my

roommates choosing not to hire one because he had poor eye sight and wore glasses with thick lens which they deemed a safety concern.  The railroad said that in the case of an explosion or other emergency situation they worried that my roommate could loose his glasses and have trouble finding his way to safety.   The ironic part is the roommate with the thick glasses was easily the best mechanic amongst the four of us having cut his teeth at a very early age as the youngest son in a family heavily involved in motorcycle racing and doing most of their own mechanical work.

Long story short we were hired in late May at the end of our first year of classes in what was a two year program and we all knew we would be quitting work once classes started back up again in the fall.  Being college kids with no extra money it made no sense to my roommates or I to give a portion of our paychecks to the union for a job we knew we would only be working at for 3 or 4 months although I did stay on for 5 months until I could no longer operate effectively on 4 hours sleep and go to classes for 6 hours a day, work 8 to 9 hours a day at the railroad and make the one hour drive to and back from work.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

Gough, I'm not against unions nor am I in favor of killing off all unions.  I do think workers should have the right to join the union or not and do think one opens a whole new can of worms when public workers are allowed to unionize and pool their union money together to make political campaign contributions to the very people who make the decisions on their wages and benefits.

No doubt many unions have had a history of corruptness but so has many organizations and businesses.  Where I think unions have their biggest mistakes is by pushing for to much in the way of concessions which I think is a natural tendency in today's world of "What have you done for me lately?"  I'm all for a decent pay and benefits but think there is a point and especially in today's global economy where the unions can make their employer's business no longer competitive and especially against foreign competitors with cheaper labor pools.  Getting big bucks and great benefits does no one any good if they all lose their jobs to companies that can build the same product for less money.

It also does not help for union members to demand the highest wages allowed and then go to Walmart to by their made in China products.