cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
27 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Physics journal

Agnotology, good word, and fits everyone of the righty tighty's on the forum. Good article, Bruce, thanks.

Advisor

I'm curious bruce

Do you consider all believers in the christian mythology ignorant or only the creationist?
Honored Advisor

Ironically, some Christian denominations chose to interpet the book of Genesis to conclude the "earth is 6,000 yrs old" to be more inclusive to those amongst us that are decendent from the "6 day creation".   No good deed goes unpunished as we`re seeing played out before our very eyes today, those 6th day decendents are using "gift" to debunk their entire religion.  This is why you should always be honest to begin with, because the truth always comes out in the end.

On the flipside, those believing "the earth is 6000 yrs old" aren`t hurting anyone, they`re actually just trying to be nice and it got out of hand with the use of microscopes and telescopes these days.  But they are harmless and their schools should get government money, they are no more harmful to society than the secular humanists religion that preaches "Johnny`s 2 daddies have peckers and this is how they put their rubbers on".

Advisor

You and most everyone here will find this offensive although each for their own reason.

What really strikes me as strange is that the belief that the earth is 6000 years old is considered by the learned as lunacy, and it is, and the believers of that thought are ignorant rubes, but the thought that god doinked a mortal woman, who remained a virgin, and produced a quasi-godish offspring is rational non ignorant thought.  Doesn't Obama go to a christian church?   Is he an ignorant rube? 

Glass houses man.

Senior Contributor

Interesting article.

Thanks Bruce, am still following up some of the links in the article.

It is a good point that the author has picked up and most of us can remember seeing how it works from the tobacco industry example and I suggest we see it today in the group that are anti GMO's and even in the organic movement.

It would be a better world if fewer people were anti science or perhaps not ignorant about science would be a better way to describe it.

Senior Contributor

Re: I'm curious bruce

I think you have to look at each sect and what their god claims as some are quite open to new science findings sticking to claims of their god where science does not have an answer.

Some take a long time to accept but eventually catch up to science.

Others remain ignorant and still claim such outlandish ideas as a 6,000 year old earth and evolution not being true, this after science has proved beyond any doubt that their 'belief' is totally in error many years ago.

So it depends on which god and its followers you are talking about.

Senior Contributor

Obummer visits a christian church but, doesn't listen and remembers nothing from what was said.

Senior Contributor

I think that is a false belief that people who 'believe' the world is only 6,000 years old do not hurt anyone.

That kind of thinking then sets them up to ignore so much knowledge that will impact everyone, like climate change.

So much of our way of life is based on a true understanding of how the universe works that if the 6,000 year old earth was used would have resulted in many of the things we use everyday not being discovered or utilized the way we do.

Look at those who ignore science about vaccines for various reasons including their god and how their choice to not be vaaccinated allows outbreaks of diseases to happen.

Outbreaks that then put at risk the people who did get vaccinated but did not get a good result in immunization.

They are not 'harmless' and should not have that kind of thinking subsidized with tax dollars.

Advisor

Just for what it's worth, there are sects that manage to maintain their traditions of worship and belief while accomodating new information that has come to light over the last 500 years.

They probably represent a small majority or large minority of folks congregating on a given Sunday although sadly are somewhat in relative decline.