cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Re: Are you sure?

@Canuck_2 wrote:

@Husker-J wrote:

You do realize, that sometimes the answer to a prayer, is 'no'.

Even if praying, only has a 'placebo' effect, why deny it to someone who is suffering?

If it does work, all the better.

However, I know of no case where simple prayers ever made anyone worse off.

And that is a nice fall back.

If the prayer is answered OK PRAYER WORKS!.

Prayer not answered guess 'god' did not want to grant me my wish, oh well god knows best.

Then there are the studies that show there is no impact from praying for things 'methodologically rigorous studies failed to produce significant findings' and one study showed negative impact of course that was probably just chance.

More proof if your life is centered around Christ you can't lose.

Senior Contributor

Re: Post in Marketing

What pisses me off is this guy think that by asking for prayers or something, everything is to be OK.  He doesn't have enough brains to understand no amount of prayers will help and furthermore no one on this site or others actually does some praying for him.  If they tell you they do they are liars.

Senior Contributor

@r3020 wrote:

Well if I accepted religion with no proof then I would give up the chance for rational fact based thought and understanding of how the universe works.

to me that would be a very big loss and no gain of anything but fiction.

Senior Advisor

@Canuck_2 wrote:

@r3020 wrote:

Well if I accepted religion with no proof then I would give up the chance for rational fact based thought and understanding of how the universe works.

to me that would be a very big loss and no gain of anything but fiction.

Christian are always looking for how the universe works.

Highlighted
Contributor

Go judge yourself, Gough. I sent prayers, I've prayed for the folks, as I expect all who answered did.

Ask yourself this: Self, did I not just call myself a LIAR?

I don't understand the threads' cruelty. You don't have to feel sorry or pray for anyone, but stop bullying people that have feelings!

Senior Contributor

What is the definition of "Faith"?

Acceptance of something you believe is true, without positive proof.

That is why it is called the Christian Faith, and not the Christian absolute proof (much like they have the theory of evolution, not the absolute proven fact of evolution).

I believe God created an ever expanding Universe, with his infinite power.

Athiests I have talked to, belive one of two things:

Either there was nothing, and some sort of infinite or near infinite form of energy was transformed into matter, and it was the begenning of our expanding universe.

Or, some belive all the matter already was present.   However, science belives the universe started at one point, and is more or less infinitely expanding from there.   All that matter in one place, would collapse upon itself, unless some form of infinite or near infinite energy gave it the ineptus to start expanding.

I agree that either of those theories could be true, so I belive the Scientists on this one.   Where we differ, is that I think that energy came from God, and while athiests can't answer where that energy came from, they are just 'sure' it couldn't be from God.   What proof is there, of where that energy 'didn't' come from?

Senior Contributor

Gough you are fooling yourself if you do not think a Godly man would not take 30 sec out of their day to say a prayer for someone in need.

Senior Contributor

@r3020 wrote:

That could be easily seen as incorrect if you just look at history and how chrisitans persecuted people who pointed out that earth was not the centre of the universe and the sun did not reolve around the earth.

Then there are those christians who still maintain the earth is only 6-10,000 years old, that evolution does not show how life forms changed and spread through out the world.

Thsoe people are not looking for how the universe works.

Senior Contributor

You are falling back to that old claim that "it is only a theory"

In science everything is a theory, that does not take away from the truth behind it because it can not be claimed to be a theroy until there is enough evidence to prove it is probable.

The details may be corrected with new knowledge but it will remain a theory because there may be corrections and changes as new evidence become available.

The difference with religious 'belief' is that belief is just a hypothesis.

A hypothesis is an idea until there is some proof to back it up.

Now if you go to the theory of evolution it is a well founded theory with lots of evidence to back it up.

Evidence that comes from many fields of science where each of these different areas of study keep confirming the theory from different directions.

Look at DNA, when it was developed in recent years continued to add more evidence to confirm again the already ample evidence that evolution is the best way to describe how life came to be.

I am not a physicist so will not try to describe how matter that is the universe came to be but there are learned people who have descriptions of that available on youtube even that describe how matter and anti matter balance and what happens when there is an imbalance.

It is mind boggling but makes more sense to me than a god just 'creating' everything.

That is unbelievable until someone can explain how the god thing happened, not just that it did happen.

Senior Advisor

@Canuck_2 wrote:

@r3020 wrote:

That could be easily seen as incorrect if you just look at history and how chrisitans persecuted people who pointed out that earth was not the centre of the universe and the sun did not reolve around the earth.

Then there are those christians who still maintain the earth is only 6-10,000 years old, that evolution does not show how life forms changed and spread through out the world.

Thsoe people are not looking for how the universe works.

There might be those Christian who believe the earth is only 6-10,000 years old but I do not know any of them. Christopher Columbus was a Christian and also set out to prove the world is round.