cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor

Poultry

I am new to raising chickens. I have 6 different breeds of chickens and two guinea's.  My birds seem to be loosing some weight I'm worried they may have worms.  I have 7 hens that are laying eggs and don't know if I should give them deworming medication, especially since the bottle says not to give to laying hens if the eggs are for eating, which mine are, what steps should I take to keep my hens and their eggs healthy and safe to eat?  Also I cracked open three eggs yesterday and found the yolks had small white like spots in them, what would cause this and are they safe to eat this way?

6 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Poultry

Boy, that is a tough one. I don`t know anyone on this forum that knows anything about chickens. There was a guy on here a while back named Belarus that raised organic stuff. Don`t know if he`s still around............ Maybe call local Vet.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Here`s a chicken chat group talking about worming chickens http://poultrycommunity.com/forum/showthread.php?10740-Chicken-Dewormer  For a natural method you could try Diatomacious Earth, it has small crystals that doesn`t hurt animals but tears up the innards of worms.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Chickens go through a molt this time of year and will nearly stop laying for a couple of weeks or longer. They shed their feathers and go off feed. This is normal and they will soon recover. Talk to your feed supplier about a good balanced ration, they should have it in the bag. Don't know anything about the white spots.

Highlighted
Contributor

Thank thank you very much for the information. I appreciate it very much.

Highlighted
Contributor

Thank you for responding to my question. Do you happen to know where I can obtain Diatomacious Earth at? Also I appreciate the link to the other forum I will check it out.  I really appreciate your response and thank you again.

Highlighted
Contributor

Thank you very much to your response to my question. I really appreciate your time.