cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dagwud
Senior Contributor

Progressives For Immigration Reform

While hauling corn today I heard a lady on the radio from an organization called Progrssives For Immigration Reform.  The lady said she was a liberal Dem but said our country desperately needs to enact some immigration reform as she claims that Millions of illegals now in the U.S. is one of the main reason for flat and declining wages for many jobs.  The women said their group is not anti-immigrant but said the American citizens and workers should come first and tha our coutry's lackadazical approach to illegal immigrants has had a sizable negative impact on American workers.  The lady listed a couple of differnet university studies that she says backs up those claims.

The lady talked about how our country's immgration policy is much more liberal then most other coutries that have much stricter laws on people coming into their country. 

I Googled the group and see that several on the board of directors had major connections with the Sierra Club and a couple had Berkley connections so I don't think it is some conservative group maskerading as a liberal or prograssive group.  One director was even married to an immigrant from South America.

4 Replies
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: Progressives For Immigration Reform

I know some workers from Columbia, and others from Mexico, who did everything right, to work here legally, and the feeling I get from them, is that the illegals are giving them a bad name, especially the criminal ones.

bruce MN
Advisor

Go to any mid-western meat packikng, food processing community and check out the situation there and it will verify what your acquainances tell you.  There very likely is is a core of legal immigrant families that have been there for a couple of decades or more and invariably they are every bit as much disenchanted by the illegals and transients amd the general situation as the local caucasians are. 

Now for those absentee owned, non-union  businesses that employ them and attract them there?  They've come to rely on the racism, anti-unionism and opposition to safety net intiatives so prevelant in the natives to deflect attention from anything constructive taking place.

Cleaning up businesses that operate outside the law has always been a concern of the progressive movement,

r3020
Senior Advisor

Problem isn't solved until we seal the border.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

@bruce MN wrote:

Go to any mid-western meat packikng, food processing community and check out the situation there and it will verify what your acquainances tell you.  There very likely is is a core of legal immigrant families that have been there for a couple of decades or more and invariably they are every bit as much disenchanted by the illegals and transients amd the general situation as the local caucasians are. 

Now for those absentee owned, non-union  businesses that employ them and attract them there?  They've come to rely on the racism, anti-unionism and opposition to safety net intiatives so prevelant in the natives to deflect attention from anything constructive taking place.

I don't want to start an argument, but locally at least, the public officials who are the ones trying  hardest to get the unions started out here, are also the ones who are against punishing the illegals, and the businesses that hire them.  One of them has been known to coin the phrase 'law abiding' when talking about illegal workers.  How can someone by definition breaking the law, be 'law abiding'.  I know what he means, they aren't robbing banks, but still....

Personally, I don't see what would be so wrong about making illegal truly be illegal, while at the same time, make it easier to get LEGAL papers, so the workers wouldn't be 'undocumented'.  It seems to me, as long as the spectre of 'one call to the INS, and your're gone' is hanging over a worker, the chances for unfair treatment are much higher. 

Cleaning up businesses that operate outside the law has always been a concern of the progressive movement,

You say that, but there are entire 'sanctuary cities' for illegals, and they are some of the most 'progressive' out there.

Where I live has been mocked by the 'progressives' in places like California, Chicago,and New York (your're from NEBRASKA?? they say, like it was some sort of leper colony or something) yet I will take our general adherence to the law against what you find in any of those places.  I don't belive intolerance to law breakers is a liberal, conservative, or progressive thing.  I think it is more of a 'respect of the law' thing, and you find people/places that respect the law, and those that don't, in all areas of the political spectrum.