cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shelk7
Friend

Project

Hi everyone, I'm a student at Purdue university and I'm currently working on a project for one of my courses. I'm talking about agriculture, specifically genetically modified crops. I would like feedback from you people on my podcast script to see what all of you think. It is still currently be revised so there will be changes. The link is right below and feel free to look at the other sections. Thank you.

https://sites.google.com/site/sheltonswritingshop/podcast

2 Replies
r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: Project

You might get better feed back on this if you were to post it in the farm business section.

Faust100F
Advisor

Re: Project

How do you invision hydroponics working on a 1000 acre corn or soybean field?

As far as yield enhancement due to new genetics, that is a joke regular soybeans will produce high yields as long as weed control exists.  The major reason for yield in soybeans is because of the weed control RR introduced into soybeans and corn by Monsanto.  Yields in soybeans are a weed and fertility control problem, all the varieties being sold to farmers as hot shot patented hybrids provide zero additional yield than an ordinary soybean plant.  80% of the soybean growers went to RR seed because of weeds not because of additional patents portending to increase yields. 

Common, unpatented, varieties will usually yield better then the new RR strains, because the chemicals utilized Glyophosate do knock down yields.  In the 50's, 60's, 70's when soybeans were still cultivated and walked yields were similar to what they were today, as long as beans remained free of weeds. 

Weed control and increases in fertilizer is what has increased soybean yields not patents allegedly filed claiming better yield.   I see more and more farmers going back to saving their own seed now that the RR patent expires next year, and weeds with immunity have increased, requiring the use of the old chemicals to control them. 

So my argument is that if I can purchase non RR seed beans for $22 a bushel and purchase the conventional chemicals which will better control weeds than Glyphosate, then why should I pay for seed with a trait that has in many cases outlived its usefulness. 

I mean with the new RR+24D beans starting to be marketed will face marketing restrictions.   i.e. it cannot be sprayed within 3 miles of a vineyard, and in the delta there are restrictions on even applying 24D because cotton cannot tolerate that chemical.   Soooo . . . going back to conventional beans, and holding back ones own seed seems like a more logical place to go.   Of course . . . according to ISU those seeds do not exist in Iowa.  However Ohio still maintains the old public varieties we all planted pre RR.  

The key is not to let seed companies brain wash you when it comes to soybeans.   If you are going to have to use conventional herbicides to control weeds, just as well enjoy the cost savings that goes along with planting public varieties.    John