cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

Re: Proof of Intelligent Design.

@Nebrfarmr wrote:

Why is it, that so many people, who cannot answer how it all started, can still be so certain that it could not have been 'created'? Being created is one thing but pushing the barrow that a god did it - that is a bridge too far away for a human mind to contemplate.  When asked what started the whole chain reaction that started the universe, as well as life, they have no real answer other than it could not have been God. yep.

I thought pure science required that all possibilities be considered, until absolutely proven wrong. That is still the case but scientists are not religious nutters, they deal in facts. The study the unknown about the known.  Not the reverse as you do.

Yet, someone like me, is the one who is 'close minded'  I never thought I would hear you say that.  Now we can make progress outside the church.  Well done comrade, welcome to the real world.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hey Gough, I don`t literally believe that the universe came into being in 7 days.  I believe that the earth is about 4 1/2 billion yrs old....all that and I personally believe in God and the Bible.  I think that life and the concept of time is so difficult for humans to wrap their heads around.  The best way to illustrate it would maybe be "the holodeck" if you`re a Star Trek fan http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-video/9882646/Star-Trek-style-holodeck-becomes-reality-as...  or like the Matrix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE7PKRjrid4  I could see that this life that usually lasts 80 yrs for us, could be taking place in what we would know as "a couple minutes"  in this test, like a very long dream only actually happens in a few seconds. Those are the best illustrations that I can think of to explain it to a non-believer.

Obviously some of you athiests really actually have rebellion issues with God, in specific Christianity.  I`m yet to hear any of you regrade Moslems(well you do calling them repigs or ratbags), Hindus, Budists, satanists, voo-doo clowns, Hairless Karishnas, Feminists.  I believe you guys have this bone to pick with Christianity, because Christianity has rules to follow, other religions are about dancing around wearing a gown with flowers in your hair muttering some gibberish...but basically allowing any kind of immorality.  You guys just have a problem with containing your negative passions, that`s why you find that God creating you is so distasteful.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

BA, my Dad read a Bible that was brought from Europe by my Great-Grandpa (or would that be Great-Great Grandpa), and it is in the native language there, which my dad can still read (from what is now the Czech republic).

The word used for 'day', in that Bible, also means 'period of work', which, I belive to most people back then, meant 'day' in human terms, but could also mean more or less 'until he was done' (and Dad says something gets lost in translation but this is as close as you can get it, in a brief wording)

To put it into simple terms, like housework, it could translate like this.

In my first work period, I swept the floor.  In my second work period, I washed dishes. 

Now, tha average person, translating that into a different language might very well translate it into 'I swept the floor one huor, and washed dishes the next.   To them, it would ring as true, but they really have no idea if my work period was 15 minutes, like on the kitchen floor, or if I was sweeping out a warehouse, and took all day to do it.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Funny, how you consider 'being created' as one thing, but 'being created by God' to be a bridge too far away.   If not by God, who or what created everything?

As soon as you can show me concrete proof, God did not create anything, I'll be on your side.

Until then, what makes my believing that, do any harm to anyone?

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

I have this terrible affliction that tells me to only believe something which is proven to be so. The evidence so far from all information known to man clearly shows there is not one iota of evidence of any kind which points to the a god of any type, persuasion or creed up to this minute.       You are continuing to be delusional on this.  Wake up to yourself and get a grip of reality before it is too late.  Believing is one thing, knowing is the ultimate.  Take the plunge and know that the whole lot is a complete package of deceit and lies and I do not like being lied too.

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

@Nebrfarmr wrote:

BA, my Dad read a Bible that was brought from Europe by my Great-Grandpa (or would that be Great-Great Grandpa), and it is in the native language there, which my dad can still read (from what is now the Czech republic).

The word used for 'day', in that Bible, also means 'period of work', which, I belive to most people back then, meant 'day' in human terms, but could also mean more or less 'until he was done' (and Dad says something gets lost in translation but this is as close as you can get it, in a brief wording)

To put it into simple terms, like housework, it could translate like this.

In my first work period, I swept the floor.  In my second work period, I washed dishes. 

Now, tha average person, translating that into a different language might very well translate it into 'I swept the floor one huor, and washed dishes the next.   To them, it would ring as true, but they really have no idea if my work period was 15 minutes, like on the kitchen floor, or if I was sweeping out a warehouse, and took all day to do it.

Absolute total proof of intelligent design!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What the hell have they been putting in your porridge?

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Prove it, then Gough

Get a glass container 10 meters square or whatever, suck all the air out of it and make a container full of "void and without form".  Then create for me a small "sun" about the size of a basketball with little golfball sized planets orbiting it.  And on one of those golfball sized planets, I want to be 2/3`s covered with water and some kind of life.  You see Gough, you claim to want to see "proof of God" well I want "proof of your theory" as well. 

If you can do this for me, I`ll turn in my assault rifles, put a "0bama president for ever" bumper sticker on my hybrid electric car and dance at the homosexual, gay, tree hugging, global warming, multicultural, horsemeat eaters, baby-killers ball..... But Goddanmit, first I want to see proof, okay?

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Just trying to expalin my views, on how the Earth can be millions of years old does not necessarily conflict with the '7 days' mentioned it took for Creation.

gough whitlam
Senior Contributor

Re: Prove it, then Gough

I can dismiss the existence of a god with the same evidence which you believe there is.  None.

Your anology of how the universe was created is totally absurd but I expect that from the non educated godbotherers.  For anyone to believe that "god" snapped his fingers and all this was created from nothing in 7 days -  I know an asylum full of nutters that like.

I suppose dear old Neb will go for the usual cop out and be pedantically involved in describing the length of a day, then and now.  He should go with you.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Prove it, then Gough

If you can show me where I EVER said that God created the world in 7 literal days, I`ll agree to be waterboarded for charity. I`ve never said that, because that isn`t what happened.  If you athiests want to dismiss the Bible so you`re free to believe that homosexualism is good, communism is good, owning "assault" rifles is bad, killing people with drones is good, abortion is good and free sickcare is good well have at it.   But it takes way more faith to believe that the universe just happened and earth just somehow was this privilaged planet that has food growing fresh water, atmosphere supporting ozone, the right distance from the sun for proper crop growing.....for all that to happen by chance is way higher odds than drawing a winning lottery ticket in every drawing since there have been lotteries.  But you do as you want, Gough.