Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

R.I.P Merle Haggard

24 Replies
bruce MN
Advisor

Re: R.I.P Merle Haggard

Saw Merle in concert along with Marty Robbins in 1978.  At the old student union auditorium at Mankato State.  

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Merle Haggard went from being a handsome young man to a weathered icon that showed the life

he lived in the lines of his face and forehead. Rest in Peace.

my favorite song with Merle contributing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvdmxszsDM8&nohtml5=False

hardnox
Advisor

Merle claimed his anthemic Okie From Muskogee was intended as satire- sort of reminds me of The Boss and Born in the USA.

I guess in both cases it was a profitable misunderstanding.

hardnox
Advisor

I guess you can have substantial legal, personal and substance problems and be OK if you're the right color and strike the right themes.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Merle was a Democrat, but he was one of the good one`s, he was that olde timey Democrat that stood up for the working people.. years ago when Democrats were like that I really could`ve supported them in certain races.    i`ve heard Merle`s dad died when he 9, he hopped a train when he was 11, ended up at San Quentin.  He was a Okie down on their luck "California or bust!" product.  He had a tough life but he didn`t turn into a 2 bit punk, with gold teeth and his butt crack hanging out.  Merle made something of himself and gave back with his music and money to help the needy.

bruce MN
Advisor

One of my very favorites as well. Nearly wore the grooves out on the LP way long ago.  Are you going up to the River Park in June to see Willie and Kris? I can't make it but my wife and some friends of hers have tickets. 

hardnox
Advisor

Gee, I didn't really think you'd say it.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Yes and he thought today's repubs are all a bunch of two bit punks for the disgraceful treatment of our president!

hardnox
Advisor

BA, here's one of those CrazyHot RW chicks