cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hardnox
Advisor

RJG

I was thinking about some of the things you've mentioned about your business and in particular having lowered your healthcare costs with a wellness program and it made me thing aobut this story. You may have already seen it or know the story.

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2015/02/06/former-ivy-league-swimmer-john-blake-siphiwe-baleka-truckin...

BTW, let's suppose that we had a single payer system that essentially removed all of the administrative cost from you and essentially levelled the healthcare playing field for all businesses regardless of size.

Would that be a good or bad thing for you?

I'm only guessing ahead of your answering but am expecting the answer might be a little bit nuanced- like in a competitive business there is advantage to people sho can manage the complexity.

3 Replies
RJG640v8
Senior Contributor

Re: RJG

Hi Nox.

Yes, have seen that before, actually they presented at an Industry seminar that I attended just last year.

What alot of employers fail to realize is how important the employee is,  longevity is the key.  Part of longevity is good health. We would do the Wellness program whether we saved insurance money or not.  Our number one cost is wages and compensation, two is insurance and three is fuel. I will not skimp on fairly compensating employees. I can't do much to change the cost of fuel, other than tweeking specs on trucks, and drivers driving habits  to get better economy , so that left me to go after and get our insurance bills down.

All I have ever wanted is a level playing field, that is all I need. With a level playing field I win more times than I lose.   

you ask if that would be good or bad for me............... answer = both. Financially it would be good. Spiritually it would be bad, I get high on competing and winning. When I lose it drives me to analyze, problem solve,  and go after a rematch.   

hardnox
Advisor

Driving a truck 2000+ hrs a year has to take a toll.

I've never been one who lived to sit in a tractor or combine cab but have done my fair share. Even though you tend to get out a lot more often, and actually can as much as your drive to get 'er done permits, I still felt old, stiff and tired after a couple months of planting or harvesting season.

Of course back in the day you at least threw a couple hundred bags of beans in a day but that's pretty much a thing of the past too. Or climbed leg or bin ladders a few dozen times some days.

I saw some data once that crop farmers had pretty high levels of various health problems. I suppose it is the combination of less regular exercise coupled with brief periods with intense demands.

RJG640v8
Senior Contributor

i only put on about 20,ooo miles a year in a truck, as a fill in for when drivers have needs to be out of the truck. I also have three retired drivers that do fill in driving.

that 20,ooo is more than enough for me.

Each year we get a Christmas gift for each employee. A couple of years ago my kids got me a Fitbit for Christmas. I loved it.  So, we got everyone a Fitbit this past Christmas. To a person they have all told me that it has impacted their life in a positive manor. That is a win on so many levels !