cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hardnox
Advisor

RJG

Far as I know, you're the only semi-regular poster here who actually employs a lot of people.

You're our Bambi.

Sorry, lol.

But what's your take on healthcare going forward, etc?

9 Replies
RJG640v8
Advisor

Re: RJG

Well, so far they are tamping down expectations of how much they will repeal O'care. Haven't figured out how to trick the rubes yet, but give 'em time. 

First it it will get cheaper, and nobody will be excluded...... then bait and switch and the rubes won't now what hit 'em. 

Sounds like some kind of voucher / tax credit scam coming down the line.  Just a wait and see scenario. My Insurance salesperson said nothing will change for the coming year.

I do know we changed our expansion plans, the Peterbilt salesman was not very happy that I wouldn't sign the order for the 6 new tractors that we had been specing, Going to keep it liquid for the time being, and with the uncertainty, can make a few more bucks day trading in the market instead of making any capital investment.

hardnox
Advisor

Thanks.

Hey, this may not be your area but anyway, I'm looking for a single axle semi-tractor to pull a 25ft gooseneck. Probably 2-3000 mi/yr.

Any thoughts?

RJG640v8
Advisor

Not knowing what you are hauling....... 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup. Registration and insurance will be cheaper. 

if your heart is set on a semi tractor then I would tell you that the smaller Cummins engines are better than the smaller Cat engines. Used / older city tractors used by Soda and Beer distributors.... leasing company sell offs.... simple 5 and 2 or better yet straight 6 or 9 speeds. We are going more and more with automatics but I would caution you when buying used out of warranty tractors with automatics that you could easily end up spending more on a rebuild than the tractor will be worth....  if resale value is a concern buy a small tandem axle day cab ,Single axles are hard to get rid of....

gurly3801539
Advisor

Was the result of the election your only reason for changing expansion plans?

RJG640v8
Advisor

75% of it , 25% due to looming interest rate hike. While I can pay cash for the equipment, at some point I would be borrowing for operating. If I spend the cash it will only be for land, which is on the way down and will go lower , always a good place to park it.

gurly3801539
Advisor

I agree on the land.  We have some pretty strong bids in our area yet.  Not sure I want to park as fast as some seem to.

hardnox
Advisor

People tell me that they get hassled by DOT and local cops a lot more if they're hauling big stuff with a PU. And yeah, probably take a hit if I don't run it out, I guess all you can do is try to buy it right.

Am I unreasonable to think I can buy a decent cab over beverage truck in the 10K range?

RJG640v8
Advisor

Yes. I would stay with a conventional, again resale would get hurt by the cab over feature.

try truckpaper.com, they have a customizable search that you can nail down the options and such and also set the price minimum and maximum, and also by state.

hobbyfarm2145365
Senior Contributor

just my thought in regard to a semi single axle soda/beer truck. It better have a engine hour meter cause they are left running all day.    I don't know what kind 5th wheel trailers you have but a friend says small single axle semi suspenison are real hard on lighter built 5th wheels tongues..just passing this on