cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dagwud
Senior Contributor

Rangel vs Obama

Obama has come out and basically suggested that Rangel should step down when he told reporters the other day that, "These allegations are very troubling."  One would expect that no president would be eager to have one of his party going through an ethics investigation and trial right before mid-term elections yet I have not yet seen where Obama has hinted that Waters should step down.   Perhaps there is a reason for nudging Rangel towards the door.  I see on the McLaughlin Group where some are wondering if Rangel's support for Hillary over Obama in 08 has something to do with this.  While expressing his support for Hillary over Obama Rangel said, "This ain't no time for a beginner." 

Don, even steadfast Eleanor Clift has come out and said she thinks it would be nice if both Waters and Rangel would take a bullet for the team.  When Clift was questioned by the Repubs on the show about Pelosi's promise to drain the swamp in Washington in light of these two ongoing investigations on Dems Clift came back with a pretty good response.  Clift said Pelosi had created a new office to investigate ethics and it appears to be working and doing its job.

18 Replies
kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: Rangel vs Obama

I have always been a believer in hearing the evidence before passing judgement. If there are ethic violations and I don't doubt there, then I suggest we hold a hearing and allow the evidence to be heard and the arguments against them.

Two years the ethic committee has been working on this and Rangel will not get his day in court until right before his reelection. The Obama rush to judgment isn't much different than their decision to fire the USDA lady. Yes and Ted Stevens got much the same treatment before the 2008 elections.

Did you happen to hear Olbermanns special commentsa last night? THis time he had Obama in his sights and he pruned him pretty good. 

Anyway Rangel claims that there was no criminal act and its time for his voice to be heard as well.  The Waters thing will fade from the scene. Not enough wrongdoing to even mention.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

I see where the ethics committee just released the charges against Waters with the main one being she helped the bank her husband owned stock in and sat on the board to get bail out funds.  Seems the bank was about to go under because of huge stock losses on Fannie and Freddie and her husband risked losing his entire $200,000 investment.  She knew there was a conflict of interest and had admitted it to Barney Frank who warned her to stay away from the matter but she allowed her grandson, who serves as her chief of staff to continue to meet and send emails to try and get a special $50 million bail out for her husband's bank.  Here is a good story on the events from the New York Times.

I did not see Olbermann last night but see something odd last night on MSNBC.  They were talking about the death of Alaska's ex-Senator Stevens death and had several other Congressmen on to help pay tribute to Stevens.  Seems Stevens was fairly well liked by his fellow Congressmen.  The had on ex-Senator Dan Inouye of Hawaii a democrat who said he would actually go to Alaska and campaign for Stevens and that Stevens would go to Hawaii and campaign for Inouye.  I'm guessing that sort of across the aisle help no longer goes on in Washington.

Speaking of Senator Inouye, that man was true war hero.  I looked him up on Wikipedia to make sure I spelled his name right and remembered he was a WW II vet so I read about his military career.  His bravery and service are nothing short of amazing.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: It is my understanding

that the  lobbying from Water's office was not exclusive for her husbands bank but several other banks as well. Is this kind of like Grassley voting for farm payments and then collecting them himself?

It would be interesting to know how many politicians voted for wall street baliouts that had financial interest in the banks or AIG.  Or any stocks for that matter that needed to be salvaged by a bailout of financial markets.

tomtoolbag
Veteran Advisor

I heard the Rangel ramblings yesterday and it seems as though he didn't get the hint that he's not wanted or needed anymore. He threw a dig at Obama, probably in response to Obama's public remarks that he needs to hit the bricks. I have a feeling that Obama tried the back channels and Rangel wouldn't agree to it, so he took the public route. But, if Rangel had stepped down, that would have implied some sort of guilt that could hurt him in the defense of the charges against him. He took on a full defense position yesterday, so I get the feeling he's a little worried about the outcome more than he's letting on.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

So Barney Frank was wrong when he agreed with Maxine Waters that it was a conflict of interest for her office to help lobby for a $50 million bailout specifically for her husband's bank and that she should stay away from the matter?

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

whatever! Think what you want!

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

I don't think so. Charlie never walked away from a fight and I don't think he would ever let Obama shove him around. Not without a fight.

ollie2655
Senior Contributor

please dont  ask them to leave they represent the dumocrat party so well and are carbon copies of obmao except they have papers and full breeds

ollie2655
Senior Contributor

have faith he is a dumocrat he will go free ----just not cheap----he will bring good money on the block