Did you mean: 
bruce MN
Advisor

Rather well founded criticism of D’s

10 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Rather well founded criticism of D’s

Well, "being the kind of Republican that I am" , over 5 years ago I could have hours of conversations with liberals and we had common ground.  We agreed on Country of Origin Labeling for meat, we agreed on the destructive direction of industrial agriculture, we agreed on so-called free trade and tariffs being a tool to correct it, we found a lot of common ground on the environment.   

But with Donald Trump being "my kind of Republican" all of that commonality is out the window, I do not tread much beyond the weather and family in our conversations.   It isn`t that I`ve changed, these liberals are now Mitt Romney Republicans...or "Limousine Liberals".  They make 6 figures, on vacation as much as they work, new cars, swell homes..yet rabid Democrats.   And against their self-interest anti-capitalists in their voting, some of these liberals are so 'successful" that they actually have more worldly possessions than I which will be in jeopardy in a Bernie Sanders approved world. 

I really do not understand you guys.

bruce MN
Advisor

You are overestimating the numbers of them but they did get more engaged this time and were part of the swing.

Thingthatkilled Dennison and MAGA was being openly disdainful of both the genuinely poor and the upper middle class. That took some real gyration, but they pulled it off 

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Say what you will about Dennison, but if you judge the man on his ACTIONS not words he did  more to help the genuine poor than anyone since Lyndon Baines Johnson.   The trouble with people like me and Dennison, we don`t have a filter and call a spade a spade.  Dennison should`ve helped the genuine poor as he did, but made them "feel good about themselves"...oh the Left woulda still hated him, but he may have squeezed a few DESERVING votes from that demographic.  But the Democrats would of just printed up another pallet full of Biden ballots to make up for any and all short falls.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Objecively, he managed to keep the post GFC going with tax cut induced deficit spending, and I suppose maybe pushed some people over some arbitrary poverty line.

And, he managed to extend a stock bull market with corporate tax cuts, a share buyback frenzy and when that all failed he (Mnuchin, I assume) managed to intimidate the Fed and rig a Wall Street "repo crisis" to justify a huge issuance of repos by The Fed. When that failed- and actually blew up spectacularly when the "can't miss" bubble exploded- the Fed then pushed the Red Button, presumably in belief that a parallel Federal public health response.

There's only a very small bit to take away from any of that that is helpful to the future- mostly long term destructive or a one trick pony.

Now we're stuck at the 0 bound, have a surging trade deficit, huge budget deficits and a double dip recession just around the corner.

rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: "More to help the genuinely poor"

"He did more to help the genuine poor than anyone since Lyndon Baines Johnson" ?  There is absolutely no evidence of that in the labor statistics.  Analysis of the labor statistics clearly indicates that the decline in unemployment and the expansion of the labor force was simply the continuation of the trend begun during the Obama Presidency.  Furthermore, the was no evidence that the Trump tax cut created any new jobs, it all went into the stock market to inflate the price of stocks.

The same thing is happening now,  the poor and less well off are getting crushed while the wealthy barely feel the pandemic.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

"The upper middle class," who are the wealthiest people that Turdy can envision, are doing fine, on average.

"The wealthy" are doing great.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

So since I've been hearing from "conservatives" since the '70s that LBJ destroyed the character of "those people" and wrecked our social fabric, what do you think Dennison has done to the character of those wealthy folks?

I would assume they've come to more resemble Dennison and his spawn.

rsbs
Veteran Advisor

Nutz sez:

So since I've been hearing from "conservatives" since the '70s that LBJ destroyed the character of "those people" and wrecked our social fabric, what do you think Dennison has done to the character of those wealthy folks?

I would assume they've come to more resemble Dennison and his spawn.

Actually a good point.....I know a guy that just floored me with how he spent some of his "Trump Dollars". I mean, just floored me, and thought nothing of his "entitlement".

Glad that me and the Mrs. have some worthwhile causes to support with any excess funds. I have no illusions either...I know that we will pay back every dollar four times over in taxes coming down the line. Those without a pot to pee in....not so much.

bruce MN
Advisor

For some reason or other the former weren’t supportive in the election.