cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Read this "Nuke 'Em" Proponents

A few months back and longer back with Milligan, I was debating the fact that we couldn't "nuke" the entire Middle East. A few of the radicals here saw that as the solution to the Middle East problem while others were sympathetic - just nuke 'em all. My response was that first, we didn't have enough weapons in our entire arsenal to destroy even all of Afghanistan. Second, I said that the fallout would be devastating for many countries that were not our target. And third, I said that we would suffer sanctions from many countries. Some weren't concerned.

The response to my logic varied from "do it anyway" to "just one nuke would teach them a lesson." Well, I hope the situation in Japan will serve as a lesson to the "nuke 'em" crowd here. Just look at what an accident at a single reactor site is doing to cause problems of world-wide significance. There is no plume going way up into the sky. This is nothing compared to the problems a nuclear explosion would cause. The fallout from "nuking the Middle East" would bring most of the world to its knees. Oil would go sky high. Many people would die or become sick. Travel and trade would grind to a hault. Europe and all the East would suffer from the fallout and it would come back to bite us in the hiney. It would be a disaster worse than anything we can imagine. And what would dwe get for it? Satisfaction? What?

So how many now are willing to say "nuke 'em?" I bet there are still a few fools who would wish to poison half the world for their rash emotional gratitude.

6 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Read this "Nuke 'Em" Proponents

Gee, KNAPPER! All these gung-ho turn 'em into glass morons, are suspiciously quiet! I thought they'd be all over this!! LOL!!

Senior Contributor

I tip my hat to the Japanese workers at the damaged nuke plants along with the helicopter pilots and others working in close proximity to the dangerous radiation.   I saw a bit on the news where most Japanese did not view these workers risking their lives as heroes.  They felt it was their job and in the Japanese tradition one stuck with their task no matter how bad it got.  I did hear that Japanese officials were asking for retired nuke workers to offer to come back and help.  Their thoughts were that the radiation poisoning would take several years before causing serious problems and that retired workers may not live long enough to see such problems materialize. 

Speaking of the helicopter pilots it did seem a bit desperate to be using helicopters to drop such small amounts of water on the damaged reactors especially since their accuracy is so poor.  One would think fire hoses attached to tall cranes would be far more accurate at delivering the water where it is needed. 

Veteran Advisor

Yes sir, where are Harry S. Truman, LBJ , and Bill CLinton et al when the issue of bombing comes up?

Senior Contributor

Just how do you think you are going to connect the three of them to this? Just because they are Democrats? Don't mean sh*t.

Senior Contributor

Yep, all gile and bile. Perhaps they realize how inane of an idea it is to nuke whole regions or countries and what the consequences would be.

Senior Contributor

KNAPPER! My friend! Have you forgotten who we are dealing with here??