cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Canuck_2
Veteran Advisor

Reasons and excuses

I have read a number of threads and posts about the Arizona shootings.

People seem to want to blame the 'other' political party and others for not locking this obviously disturbed person up.

I suggest, and I notice bruce is the only other post that seems to look at it this way, that the problem is a societal problem. I am reminded of Pogo "We have met the enemy and he is us"

There is lots of blame to go around but like good 'god fearing people' most posters seem to want to make excuses and blame someone else.

Look at your society. So many worship violence, revenge and punishment but never look at the reason for the problem.

I always remember the interview with a movie producer of a childrens show discussing having to deal with censors in Canada and the USA.

In Canada they asked him to remove some scenes with violence.

In the USA they asked him to cover the breasts of a mermaid.

49 Replies
KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Re: Reasons and excuses

It used to be that radicals were isolated. It was hard for them to find a group to reinforce and feed upon their fears, crazy ideas and radical opinions. This is no longer the case. Any idiot with a radical opinion need look no further than the internet for reinforcement. Whatever your bent, it's there. If you are a psycho bent on killing a politician because you are so oppressed, then you can find plenty of support and others with the same idea at the tips of your fingers. Isolation is no longer a problem. Whatever your fear, hate, motivation, it's there and others will support you and feed any crazy idea.

I think we need to remember we are all Americans (in a larger sense, the Americas). I think we need to remember that we are not made Americans to hate each other, to lie, exaggerate and feed on fear after fear. We have a system. We have a process. We need to reject those talking heads, radio, web sites and TV hosts who seek to profit through propagating division. We need to be Americans first and not like Nazis who demonized the Jews, blaming all problems on a class or faction.

r3020
Senior Contributor

@KNAPPer wrote:

It used to be that radicals were isolated. It was hard for them to find a group to reinforce and feed upon their fears, crazy ideas and radical opinions. This is no longer the case. Any idiot with a radical opinion need look no further than the internet for reinforcement. Whatever your bent, it's there. If you are a psycho bent on killing a politician because you are so oppressed, then you can find plenty of support and others with the same idea at the tips of your fingers. Isolation is no longer a problem. Whatever your fear, hate, motivation, it's there and others will support you and feed any crazy idea.

I think we need to remember we are all Americans (in a larger sense, the Americas). I think we need to remember that we are not made Americans to hate each other, to lie, exaggerate and feed on fear after fear. We have a system. We have a process. We need to reject those talking heads, radio, web sites and TV hosts who seek to profit through propagating division. We need to be Americans first and not like Nazis who demonized the Jews, blaming all problems on a class or faction.

The guy was an atheist loaner.  He stole innocent life. We do not need to let him win by stealing our freedom.

gough whitlam
Advisor

What has his atheism got to do with it? Don't believe there aren't nutters among your cult.

r3020
Senior Contributor

@gough whitlam wrote:

What has his atheism got to do with it? Don't believe there aren't nutters among your cult.

He wasn't influenced nor motivated by religion.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

R3020..Obviously what I wrote went unheard. There are NO LOANERS. Whatever the bent, there are support groups at their side as easy as logging into a website.Whatever the hate, they can find other people that will feed their fear and support their dementia. There are no isolated loaners in this century.

No, we do not need to let this weirdo steal our freedom. He is a true threat to the right to keep and bear arms. He is a true threat to freedom of speech. So are his friends on any number of websites who think the best way to get your point across is at the receiving end of a Glock 9MM. We need to fight these type of thieves and that means we need to agree that we can work together to solve our own problems through the system the Founding Fathers gave us, by votes and political discourse, but we can't demonize each other.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Thats america for you. Breast viewing is deplorable and will devastate our youth. The truth s that is about the first thing a baby sees in his life and he spends the early part of his life receiving comfort and nourishment from them. However, after so long he will be unmeasurably devastated by seeing a human breast.

On the other hand, guns and violence is beneficial to our youth. They need to know that guns are a god given right and the solution to most problems and disagreements is gun toting violence. Yes they make fun of diplomacy and trying to resolve difficult problems with negotiation. Naw lets diminish them and threaten them with our awesome might and they will capitulate and give us our way. Hmm! that sounds like republican politics/

Samnospam
Advisor

gough whitlam
Advisor

He wasn't influenced nor motivated by religion - Well the bleeding obvious question  is, Why would you bring that up? What has that got to do with it . 

r3020
Senior Contributor

@KNAPPer wrote:

R3020..Obviously what I wrote went unheard. There are NO LOANERS. Whatever the bent, there are support groups at their side as easy as logging into a website.Whatever the hate, they can find other people that will feed their fear and support their dementia. There are no isolated loaners in this century.

No, we do not need to let this weirdo steal our freedom. He is a true threat to the right to keep and bear arms. He is a true threat to freedom of speech. So are his friends on any number of websites who think the best way to get your point across is at the receiving end of a Glock 9MM. We need to fight these type of thieves and that means we need to agree that we can work together to solve our own problems through the system the Founding Fathers gave us, by votes and political discourse, but we can't demonize each other.

I heard you, you are wrong. The guy was a loaner. He killed because he is a murderer, not because of some "group" he belonged to or supported.