Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r3020
Senior Contributor

Re: Reasons and excuses

Here Bruce, how is this for rhetoric.

snip-

Ex-Rep. Paul Kanjorski, D-Pa., pens an op-ed in the New York Times today about the proper political response to this weekend's tragedy. I wholeheartedly support the former Congressman (Kanjorski lost his seat in November) when he argues that, following this weekend's shooting, Congressman need to remain open and accessible to the public. However, Kanjorski is rather hypocritical when he climbs up on his soapbox:

We all lose an element of freedom when security considerations distance public officials from the people. Therefore, it is incumbent on all Americans to create an atmosphere of civility and respect in which political discourse can flow freely, without fear of violent confrontation.

Incumbent on all Americans to create an atmosphere of civility and respect? Congressman heal thyself! Yesterday, I noted that, according to the Scranton Times, Kanjorski said this about Florida's new Republican Governor Rick Scott on October 23:

"That Scott down there that's running for governor of Florida," Mr. Kanjorski said. "Instead of running for governor of Florida, they ought to have him and shoot him. Put him against the wall and shoot him. He stole billions of dollars from the United States government and he's running for governor of Florida. He's a millionaire and a billionaire. He's no hero. He's a **bleep** crook. It's just we don't prosecute big crooks."

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/01/dem-congressman-who-called-gop-gov-...
tomtoolbag
Veteran Advisor

To have a couple of politicians targeted isn't too far of a stretch of the imagination, but to me the REALLY disturbing part is that the guy shot a child(a 9 year old girl) and some elderly folks that to most people would seem, and be considered harmless or not a threat. He apparently did that after shooting the congresswoman and judge, and there obviously wasn't a reason at all for it. I'm not saying that the congresswoman and judge deserved it at all, but considering their position and today's politics, I'm not surprised.

The media have managed to make this whole incident a 3-ring circus, with the applicable blame trying to be placed upon people, whether justified or not. The media has crowned their very own heroes and has put this front and center non-stop. The odd coincidence of the high profile atty showing up brings more questions than answers. But, one nutjob's acts out of 308 million people, and we ALL will(and have) suffer the consequences of HIS actions. From the over-reactive response in the political arena, to implying that we all should keep an eye on our neighbor to see if they are ready to snap.

Yes, it was a tragedy, and he had obvious signs of problems that more than likely led up to his acts, but the constant promotion by the media only encourages people to act/react in this way again. We have a lot of guns in this society, and access to one by anybody legally or not, isn't too hard. This incident is just another in a long list of those where people act out this way when they feel they were cheated, abused or neglected or other. The scene of a person shooting up their former co-workers or such and then killing themselves shows how far our society has sunk in terms of what people think of human life, and even their own life.

bruce MN
Veteran Advisor

She wasn't going to move the needle for me 30. Couldn't. Before, during or after,

I surely haven't seen anything laid exclusively squae on her shouldres. Some have said she's responsible for much of the vitriol, and like Coach Green says........You wouldn't like her nearly so much IF SHE STOPPED doing so. Probably not at all.  

And shoot....Pretty , talanted, educated woman like that having at her relatively young age  locked herself into a caricature role for a lifetime. That can't be all that much fun for somebody who has been sure for their entire life that they were most definitely "going to be somebody". Now she'a doomed to a lifetime of being Anita Bryant ...always a former this or a former that..

I have said for a coupe of years now that I believe she is a bad idea for our Nation.

I'm surprised she dignified the criticism, wherever she saw it as coming from.  Right on cue. I can't imagine who wouldn't know whatever it was that she's trying to covice them of.

bruce MN
Veteran Advisor

What more are you trying to get at other than Kanjorski was right as rain about the capital nature of the newly elected Gov. of Florida's previously commited crimes?

r3020
Senior Contributor

@bruce MN wrote:

She wasn't going to move the needle for me 30. Couldn't. Before, during or after,

I surely haven't seen anything laid exclusively squae on her shouldres. Some have said she's responsible for much of the vitriol, and like Coach Green says........You wouldn't like her nearly so much IF SHE STOPPED doing so. Probably not at all.  

And shoot....Pretty , talanted, educated woman like that having at her relatively young age  locked herself into a caricature role for a lifetime. That can't be all that much fun for somebody who has been sure for their entire life that they were most definitely "going to be somebody". Now she'a doomed to a lifetime of being Anita Bryant ...always a former this or a former that..

I have said for a coupe of years now that I believe she is a bad idea for our Nation.

I'm surprised she dignified the criticism, wherever she saw it as coming from.  Right on cue. I can't imagine who wouldn't know whatever it was that she's trying to covice them of.

As I said Bruce, nothing funnier than a bunch of back pedaling libs grasping for ANYTHING to hold to. It blew up in their face and NOW they blame Palin for DEFENDING herself. Isn't it funny how they shift the blame from the baggers to only Palin and talk radio.

tomtoolbag
Veteran Advisor

3020, have you ever asked yourself what is Sarah Palin's purpose?? What does she do, or what thing does  she represent?? It's obvious that she's not a politician, because she quit when she was. She's not any media person, because she doesn't report on any thing with facts or even a perspective, so what does she really stand for (other than to keep people like you constantly in fear and angry)???

I have a feeling that one day when you are too old to see well enough to even shoot, and while you're sweaty hands are contributing to the rust on your gun from the same source, you'll still have those guns and be able to shoot them. I hope that you'll look back and say to yourself that the constant fear-mongering was all for nothing, but I doubt it.

bruce MN
Veteran Advisor

Tom..when you ask
"What;s her purpose?"  and "whats she do?" I started to crack up over my 80 something mother.... a pioneer feminist but yet a real prude...who walked into the room with a bunch of us watching a sporting event on ESPN, spotted Erin Andrews posing statuesquely as she interviewed somebody and asked the assembled group of various aged males sitting there "What's her function?"

Red Steele
Senior Contributor

Interesting comment that you made....

"how far our society has sunk in terms of what people think of human life".

I would ask every card carrying democrat that posts on this forum to think about that statement.

Put it away, come back to it...think about it some more.

I have some obvious comments about it, but will save them for later.

I think Tom inadvertantly nailed the whole crux of what is ailing America.

r3020
Senior Contributor

@tomtoolbag wrote:

3020, have you ever asked yourself what is Sarah Palin's purpose?? What does she do, or what thing does  she represent?? It's obvious that she's not a politician, because she quit when she was. She's not any media person, because she doesn't report on any thing with facts or even a perspective, so what does she really stand for (other than to keep people like you constantly in fear and angry)???

I have a feeling that one day when you are too old to see well enough to even shoot, and while you're sweaty hands are contributing to the rust on your gun from the same source, you'll still have those guns and be able to shoot them. I hope that you'll look back and say to yourself that the constant fear-mongering was all for nothing, but I doubt it.

Here is the question you should be asking, after some monster shot and killed 6 people why is it  the left fixated on Sarah Palin?

tomtoolbag
Veteran Advisor

I want to know why ANY media even brings up her name at all. She's immaterial at best, and for the life of me why anybody listens to her or even considers her a source of info on anything is what's troubling.

She loves, and profits off of controversy, and if there isn't any............she'll create it.