Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Regarding Obama and Joe Sestak,

Jump to solution

18 USC 210 - Offer to procure appointive public office
Tue, 12/22/2009 - 13:25 — caselaw
Whoever pays or offers or promises any money or thing of value, to any person, firm, or corporation in consideration of the use or promise to use any influence to procure any appointive office or place under the United States for any person, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.

30 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Impeachable Offence!

Jump to solution

Senior Contributor

Re: Regarding Obama and Joe Sestak,

Jump to solution

"Whoever pays or offers or promises any money or thing of value, to any person, firm, or corporation in consideration of the use or promise to use any influence to procure any appointive office or place under the United States for any person, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both."

Could not one make that case with every administration and president?

Advisor

Jump to solution

You've brought this up a half a dozen or so times now.

Next time put in the part where it says that there ever was a definitive "offer" of anything. And what it may have been. Where Sestak says they told me I could be or have "this" or have "that"?

It's been vetted by the people who would have been responsible for bring and charges that mayor may not been forthcoming and they say "Move on. Nothing here." All you seem to have is your zeal as inspired by right wing sources/websites/ commentators.

I suppose there is some "good" political strategy in just saying something over an over until enough people are exposed and beat down by it to the degree that it becomes dogma. It's worked on the birther issue, so I can't blame them, or you, for trying.

Wishing here that the press and comentators would start focuing on saying ,over and over again, how the situation in the Gulf of Mexico is the ultimate result of **bleep** Cheney bringing in industry folks to help craft the Bush energy policy, behind closed doors. How, over the next 8 years MMS and other regulatory bodies were stacked with folks who worked on the side for energy, owned large volumes of energy stocks and had personal, often sordid and steamy from what is being reported, relationships with big energy personel.

But that's hard to put into a sound bite that can be pcked up on in simple terms by the folks who are looking for good juicy stuff.

Senior Contributor

My quote is the law.

Jump to solution

I'm not quoting opinon of some Democratic hack that supports the president under all circumstance.  Mr. Sestak made the allegation, I didn't nor did any right conservative.  So is Mr. Sestak a liar?  Is the president a liar? 

It reads pretty clearly that the law was broken.

It's odd that so many are ready to lynch Governor Rod Blagojevich for doing exactly the same thing.  Now however when it's Mr. Obama it's all different and not remotely the same.

Advisor

Re: My quote is the law.

Jump to solution

What "allegation" did sestak make that would have qualified as breaking of that law?

Was he offered money? What it boiled down to was that they discussed the possiblity of a job with the Federal Government being available to him. Maybe Sec. of the Navy? I don't think that was particularily smart, but illegal? Talking about possibilities?

This just out this afternoon. You should have your official answer shortly. But I don't suppose you'll beleive an offically elected Democrat hack like him any more than you would some hack opinionator.

"President Obama said that an official response from the administration on what happened in the talks with Rep. Joe Sestak to drop out of Democratic Senate primary will come "shortly."

"I can assure the public that nothing improper took place," Obama said near the end of an hour long news conference devoted mostly to the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.

Bipartisan calls have increased for the White House and Sestak to disclose details of what happened between them."

Veteran Advisor

Jump to solution

The Illinois gov. was trying to SELL the seat to someone.  I don't see where offering a guy a job and telling him that to accept it means he can't run of elected office---IF that is what really happened.

Senior Advisor

Jump to solution

He was offered a job, not because he was qualified, it was for the sole purpose to influence the outcome of an election. Since when did the president decide who was to run in state's senatorial elections. Not for from a dictatorship.

Senior Contributor

When you look in the dictionary and look up

Jump to solution

OBSTINATE, there is a picture of Bruce.

Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

The man who was offered the job said he was offered the job in exhange for dropping out of the race.  That is illegal and he continues to say that is what happened.  That is all he will say now, no names or anything else.   He let the cat out of the bag before he considered the consequences.  I think he figured out he is a Democrat and might have shot himself in the foot with his party.