cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: Impeachable Offence!

Jump to solution

I don't want to see him impeached.   Remove his ability to do anything by removing his party from power.  Remove the purse strings and cut the budget for any department he attempts to give authoritarian power too.   Let him speechify and collect Nobel's till his term expires.

Impeaching him and removing him from office would bring chaos and racial recrimination for decades.  An affirmative action president requires an affirmative action solution. 

Advisor

Re: When you look in the dictionary and look up

Jump to solution

OBSTINATE, there is a picture of Bruce.

Under BOOOORING! there is a mention of this issue:

That said, the volume of attention that's been devoted to this episode seems devoid of context. After all, the Obama administration made a similar overture early in office without so much as a peep. When the president offered Sen. Judd Gregg (R-N.H.) the post of Commerce Secretary it was under an "agreement" (Gregg's word) that the governor of New Hampshire would appoint a replacement who caucuses with Republicans. Issa's office actually admitted that this deal was as bad as the Sestak exchange to Salon.com on Wednesday night. But no calls for an investigation have transpired.

There are countless other examples as well. Governor Ed Rendell told The Hill that he basically did the same thing when he promised to help out former Rep. Joe Hoeffel if he dropped his primary bid for Senate against Bob Casey in 2006.

The progressive watchdog group Media Matters, meanwhile, pointed out that President Reagan offered California Sen. S.I. Hayakawa a job in his administration if he dropped out of the Senate primary race in California -- an offer that Hayakawa, like Sestak, rejected.

The offers aren't always so explicit. But by today's standards, they could still very well rise to scandal level. Joel Goldstein, professor of law at St. Louis University who has written extensively about the office of the president, noted that in 1976 then-governor Ronald Reagan essentially told Sen, Richard Schweiker that if he supported his primary campaign against Gerald Ford, he'd make him his running mate. Franklin D. Roosevelt, likewise, dangled the vice presidency to John Nance Garner in exchange for Texas's support. Dwight Eisenhower essentially promised Earl Warren a seat on the Supreme Court in exchange for helping secure Republican delegates in California (and to get him out of electoral politics).

Back in 2003, it was speculated that President George W. Bush offered a job at the United Nations to Rep. Benjamin Gilman (R-N.Y.) so that he wouldn't run for re-election in a district that had been redrawn following redistricting. Gillman told the Huffington Post that there was "no offer of that nature," merely talks with then-Governor Pataki about the need to consolidate the state's congressional representation. And while he thinks it is "appropriate" for the Ethics Committee to investigate the Sestak offer, Gillman did acknowledge that there have been "other cases of that nature."

From HP

Senior Contributor

Gosh Bruce, I guess repeatedly breaking the law makes it ok

Jump to solution

I just didn't understand.  If somebody else does it first or you do it repeatedly then it's okay.

If it's sooooo boring why does it have so much response?

Advisor

Re: Gosh Bruce, I guess repeatedly breaking the law makes it ok

Jump to solution

IF there was as much response anywhere ele as there is here it would be quite sensational.

So many big fish to fry, so many things needing serious attention that it looks to me like nobody has the time or the wind for dealing with what this might be.. It will happen again. And if there had been money or a contract or something like that involved it woud have gone further. But for now it looks like the guy was offered the opportunity to consider a choice and it's going to be left at that.

If I though tyou would be a serious about te people who do have reallyimportant jobs at SEC and MMS and, most particularily, how they go them I'd respect what you are doing here on this just "get Obama at any costs" matter.

Of course it doesn't matter if somebody else did it if ti is wrong, but that does come into play if it becomes a legal matter. And the legals who have looked at it say that there is not enough there to go on with anything.

It will simply get to go into the file with the birth certificate and Rev. Wright. AndBush' National Guard record. And Bush Srs. possible abandonment of his comrades in battle. And JFK's midnight trysts. And Lincoln's suspected homosexuality. And Monica Lewinsky. 

Advisor

Re: My quote is the law.

Jump to solution

Hey...maybe thre was a crime afterall...look who was involved...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37381922/ns/politics-white_house

Highlighted
Contributor

Jump to solution

The news is reporting that Sestak said they told him if he would drop out there would be a job for him in the administration.   Apparently the offer was made by Bill Clinton, but he was acting as an agent for the Obama adminstration. 

It does appear illegal, but I'm certian nothingn will come of it.

If I thought you could open your mind to it, I'd say imagine if the tables were turned and this was the Bush adminstration.  You, bartmac, Kraft, GTO, etc would all be up in arms and calling for an investigation.  The hypocrisy of partisan politics sickens me. 

Advisor

Jump to solution

I don't think you can find me saying anywhere that this is a good deal.  If you've read the entire thread you should have found that list of administrations on both sides in the HP article who have used the tacitc. Both Bush's are on it.

Who knows, might have been a setup to make Sestak look good...Dem seats are going to be hard to hold. Obama could probably care less...he's figured out by now that there is no holding on to his vanity, and no saving of his legacy. Which actually should free him up some...we'll see. Nancy Pelosi and a decent number of Dem Senators have figured that out., actually.

Senior Advisor

Re: Regarding Obama and Joe Sestak,

Jump to solution

What nmakes you think Sustak isn't qualified. A career admiral in the navy is not exactly chopped liver. Where do you get this stuff! Such blarney!

In addition, there is no dictatorial authority. The president nominates and the senate confirms

Senior Advisor

Re: Regarding Obama and Joe Sestak,

Jump to solution

May be is qualified, but that is not why he got the nod for the job, it was to keep him from running against Specter. You will notice part of the "official line" is not his qualifications.

Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

I saw and heard it today.  I doubt anything will come of this.  The accuser has completely pulled away from his original statement now that he won the race and needs the help of the party.  His Republican challenger is ahead in the polls.  The whole thing sounds like politics as usual and I mean that in a non-partisan way.