cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: My quote is the law.

Jump to solution

I agree and thumbs up on your write-up cotman. He needs demo party money now that he won the primary, can't get it any other way than to throw it in their faces and force them to support him financially, or they look bad.

Contributor

Re: Regarding Obama and Joe Sestak,

Jump to solution

In the politcal field the leaders often discuss strategy and what positions potential candidates may qualify for. There usually are no binding offers and in my experience in politics this is not an illegal act or we should eliminate all free speech.

Veteran Advisor

Re: ....And I Can Remember When....

Jump to solution

....And I can remember the unbridled outrage the Liberals fained over the Valery Plame "outing"....ohhh, the wringing of hands and the gnashing of teeth..... then when someone on their side actually tries to purchase someone from running in a primary..... it all of a sudden becomes no big deal to them.   Ain't hypocracy just grand??!??

Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

I am unfamiliar with the Valery Plame thing.  What has happened here is Clinton. not a president now but a citizen on a big pension, offering a pollie a job for which he will not be paid anything.  That is not illegal according to Fox but everyone is salivating that they are about to corner Obama with this. It appears Obama knew nothing of it but was orchestrated by the party machine. Is that the case?

Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

"It appears Obama knew nothing of it but was orchestrated by the party machine."  Boy are you gullible Gough. 

MSNBC - "The administration admission — it said Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel had asked the former president to call Sestak."  Are suggesting that Obama's chief of staff did this all on his own without his boss's knowledge?  You probably believed it when Attorney General, Eric Holder said he never consulted with Obama on his decision to have the KSM terrorist trial in New York but only talked it over with a couple of family members. 

While I admit this type of bribery happens all the time in both parties this case may be a bit different in that it appears that Obama was trying to help out Specter who was involved in a tough primary race because Specter had switched parties and had backed Obama on some of his major initiatives such as Health Care Reform.  If true that is simply a form of bribery to buy votes to help pass legislation which again happens all the time with offers of becoming a chairman or a seat on a certain committee or promises to help back the other guy's pet legislation.  Obama came out and said that the buck stops with him on the leaking oil well in the Gulf.   However in this case they keep trying make folks believe Obama was never involved which most folks with a heart beat do not buy. 

"White House Counsel Robert Bauer rendered his own verdict in a two-page report that said there was no improper conduct in the offer. No one in the administration discussed the offer with Sestak, Bauer said. The report did not say what, if any, contacts or promises the White House had with Specter on the matter. It also did not reveal whether Obama was aware of Clinton's role."

Well dah!  Of course no one in tha administration discussed the offer with Sestak because they enlisted Sestak's buddy Bill Clinton to have the discussion.  Kind of like saying I didn't kill my wife because I hired someone else to kill her for me.

The White House knows what they did was sleazy and borders on being illegal so they continue to play the silly game of Obama was not involved and knew nothing about it.  If only Obama could say the buck stops with him on this one as well then much of the air would be let out of this balloon.  This makes me think the Obama administration is worried about this having the appearance of being illegal or at the least improper.

Advisor

Jump to solution

Much, much ado about very, very little...and the silence from the official GOP, with the water being carried by fringers like Lyn Cheney,  is defening. You schpeil here could have come from her.

It's politics, pure and smple and brokering is a huge part of that, and nobody on any side wants a big laundry day held on stuff like this.

And so, so far down the docket on matters serious.

And the GOP also knows that they don't need this...it would be piling on. This administration is as sunk as that oil rig is. The Katrina analogies are piling up, and not all from the other side of the aisle:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/30/opinion/30rich.html?hp=&pagewanted=print

Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

As stated before I think this oil well leak will be Obama's Katrina and much of the criticisms will be unfair as much of the Katrina problems were unfairly laid at Bush's feet.  I think many folks including members of the media like to do what is popular just as grade school boys tend to like what ever football team won the last Super Bowl.  We are now starting to see more and more people having the guts to speak out against Obama when before most of the media would over look and of Obama's missteps.  Last week I caught part of Chris Mathews show and he was being pretty hard on Obama as well which surprised me a bit.

One thing every president needs to learn is that when ever there is a disaster they need to get their butt down there immediately for a photo op no matter if their visit accomplishes anything at all.  Our country demands our president show up and turn on that Clinton type sympathy and bite their bottom lip while offering their sincere condolences.

Senior Advisor

Jump to solution

Apples and oranges. One was a willful attempt to ruin ones career. The other was an offer of opportunity to be in a position of influence.  Boy! You sure made a strecth on this one.

Senior Advisor

Re: ....Even if Obama had made such offer

Jump to solution

personally, there would have been no illegal act. He was not offered money or a job that paid money.  Not unlike offering Hillary the secretary of state position when she already had a position in the senate. Or offering Judd Gregg a position in the cabinet. Your trying to make a mountain out of a molehill and there isn't an illegal act there.

Senior Contributor

Re: My quote is the law.

Jump to solution

- 1st class man