cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Remember the armed pharmacist at walgreens

The one that drew a concealed weapon on the robbers in the drug store? Five days after the incident he was fired for bring a firearm to work in violation of company policy. Policy that was developed in the interest of public safety as well as company liability.

Said pharmacist has filed civil suit based on the concept that it was an improper dismissal. Stay tuned but I don't think he will win.

9 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Remember the armed pharmacist at walgreens

I doubt it, either.

I put store policy on gun ownership in the store's hands, just as I would a store uniform, or the use of hair nets, etc.

However, in this day and age, where some want people to have their drivers license & photo ID to be taken with a veil on, who knows what will be the ultimate outcome?

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: A bit more on this "company policy" story

@Hawken Cougar wrote:

Snip-

Township police Lt. Delman Lange, after reviewing surveillance video, told the local paper, "If it was me, I would have done the same thing."

Here's a link to the story. Be sure to watch the video:  http://abcnews.go.com/Business/fired-walgreens-gun-toting-michigan-pharmacist-filled-robbers/story?i...

I hope that he takes Walgreens to the cleaners, and uses the funds to open his own pharmacy to compete with them.  I would go out of my way to do business with him.

A man has a right to defend himself.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

If it had been me I wouldn't have brought a gun to work. Surely individuals and businesses have the right to prohibit fire arms on their premises? I know it invigorates the gun nuts to think that this macho man took charge. The fact is tha liability constraints for the company requires that they prohibit guns. An armed victim is apt to cause more bloodshed and accelerate the probability that innocents will be wounded or killed.

Walgreens has decided that this policy will avoid gunfire on their premises. If employees think it is an unsafe work place then they should quit. Even banks have decided that armed guards are not a positive.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

An armed victim is apt to cause more bloodshed and accelerate the probability that innocents will be wounded or killed.

Do you have any proof of this???

Walgreens has decided that this policy will avoid gunfire on their premises. If employees think it is an unsafe work place then they should quit.

I agree that Walgreens can set their own policy, but they are responsible for providing a safe work environment for thier employees.  You say that if the employees think it is 'unsafe', they should quit.  The same should go for every Union that strikes for 'better working conditions'.  If they don't like it, they should just quit, as well.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I'll just take my business to CVS.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

I gather that all y'all feel the end justifies the means.

Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Remember the armed pharmacist at walgreens

When I first read this my initial thought was that walgreens was entirely within their rights, but after thinking about it I'm not so sure. You should always have the right to defend yourself. Let's say you were completely legally allowed to carry, the company said no arms even in the parking lot, you can't leave your weapon in the car. Wouldn't they effectively be disarming you on your way to and from work? Suppose they said no drugs of any kind and you were a diabetic. Difficult issue.
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Do I need proof? The company and their insurer have determined that to be the case. Armed gunman wounding and innocent it not a company liability. Employees firing firearms is a company liability if they should strike and innocent consumer.

I think most unions use a work stoppage as leverage against business.

Walgreens employees know the company rules when they are hired. I'll bet the pharmacist will have a tough time making his case.