cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomtoolbag
Veteran Advisor

Re: Republican mantra: Tax cuts will create jobs Reality: NOPE

Most people that make over 250K started life ten steps ahead of you and I. The tax code doesn't punish success, on the contrary, it is deliberately written and used to separate and reward a select group. Why is investment income so sacred that it deserves not only a lower tax rate, but isn't subjected to other forms of taxation. Basically, "tax them, but not me, because I'm more important to society and so is my income", and yet every single dollar earned by the working poor is subjected to all forms of taxation, and is deducted before they receive their earnings.

Believe me, I want the people to be empowered over the government, but I'm a realist in that the politicians and the people that bribe them have not and will not willingly accept that or relinquish ANY of that power. Why would they, that is what keeps them separate and insulated from us. Don't get me wrong, the democrats have become a like entity of the republicans, it's just that their wing of the corporate HQ is on the other side of the building.

r3020
Senior Contributor

Because investment income is what is needed to grow an economy. In 06, 08, 10 we voted out a whole bunch of the establishment types. That is what the tea party movement is all about. This is a different GOP. They were elected to office not by racist but by people who want to pull on the reins of the Washington elite. They are sick and tired of them holding the bit in their mouth. I hope this is a movement in it's infancy.

Democratforlife
Frequent Contributor

@tomtoolbag wrote:

Most people that make over 250K started life ten steps ahead of you and I. The tax code doesn't punish success, on the contrary, it is deliberately written and used to separate and reward a select group. Why is investment income so sacred that it deserves not only a lower tax rate, but isn't subjected to other forms of taxation. Basically, "tax them, but not me, because I'm more important to society and so is my income", and yet every single dollar earned by the working poor is subjected to all forms of taxation, and is deducted before they receive their earnings.

Believe me, I want the people to be empowered over the government, but I'm a realist in that the politicians and the people that bribe them have not and will not willingly accept that or relinquish ANY of that power. Why would they, that is what keeps them separate and insulated from us. Don't get me wrong, the democrats have become a like entity of the republicans, it's just that their wing of the corporate HQ is on the other side of the building.

Then you must be for treating everyone the same through the use of the tax code. One tax rate for everyone? The more one makes the more they pay in. Simple.

tomtoolbag
Veteran Advisor

ONLY if all income is treated the same, and if you close all tax loopholes too. Look at the mortgage deduction, over half of the people that have a mortgage don't take it because they don't or can't itemize, or the standard deduction is bigger. Yet, the bigger the mortgage, the greater the benefit. So a 1-5 million dollar mortgage receives a bigger benefit, by design, than a 150-200 thousand dollar mortgage. Is that equal???

Everything is not equal, just like unemployment and the earned income credit. The groups that normally utilize those benefits are considered spenders, and they have little to no savings. The benefit just passes on to another entity, much like farm subsidies to the majority of farmers. So if it's a wash to the people or person that uses it, why do it at all then??

The lower tax brackets and incomes have far more of their gross and disposable income susceptible to taxes, whether by indirect concentration at their spending habits or otherwise. It's the WalMart theory of directed taxation, whereas what isn't taken outright, you get their remainder by consumption. 

tomtoolbag
Veteran Advisor

Income is income, and wherever that dollar or dollars came from makes no difference, just ask Bill Gates, as it all spends the same.

I wanted the teabagger movement to be legitimate, and I also feel as though there was a coming together of different groups of people that felt as though they may not agree with one another on everything, but they did have something in common in regards to an enemy. But, the more that I looked into things, the people and entities behind the scenes that were motivating things and providing the money for stuff, it was the same old players. I'm not into "making deals with the devil" just for a small or even a big gain, because it has never led to anything positive for the ones that always get the short end of things. I felt that way about Obama, and the people behind him and who was influencing him or calling the shots. It turns out that other people felt the same way, and we were all right.  

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

If you had even a tenth of the brain power you think you have, you would have comprehended the sentence where I stated that you shouldn't talk about the lame duck session now in progress because it shouldn't matter from what y'all were saying before the election.  But then, you don't have even that tenth so I don't expect anything else from you.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

A couple of questions.  Are you planning a price cut to correspond to your cuts or at least a price freeze?  And about dbl dipping govt workers, does that mean that a person can't work in two completely different areas of govt or anywhere else for that matter and retire after the required number of years?  Why only 25% on farm subsidies.  Why does a farmer need grain subsidies?  Maybe cut out those who farm over 250-500 acres?  Making any cuts in pay without making price cuts only hurts those in low middle and low class workers who are already hurting.  However, making wholesale across the board cuts doesn't do anything but make everything lower.  The same % will still be effect and the country will still be in the same shape only with everyone making less money.  It is like when I first went into the army, I made $90.10/month.  After being promoted after basic training, I made $103.80/ month.  I bought a motorcycle, gas and insurance and still had money to have a little entertainment and other such things.  Pay was low but prices were low also.  But back to the original question--  I also wanted to know what the ruling party has in mind for spending cuts.  You don't mean squat in the big picture.  I thought one of you guys would have the inside picture of what the plan is.

GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

I thought one of you guys would have the inside picture of what the plan is

We already know what the plan is, bart! It's the same one that got us here in the first place, only this time it's going to be worse. They had us on a downhill slid to a third world country, now they're going to  finish the job. What a bunch of morons.