cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bruce MN
Advisor

Re: social security is actually voluntary

I know a number of people who never have paid in.  By choice.  But that doesn't make the system illegitimate, which is what asems to be under disussion here.  Or unconstituional, which Sam seems to have come  to think that virtually everything suddenly is. 

Heck of a consistent argument that doesn't take up much of his time to make.

Samnospam
Advisor

A quick google says its almost impossible for the average person, change careers to one of a few, become a minister.

The response to the question itself from the SSA was almost threatening:

Can I opt out of paying Social Security taxes or withdraw taxes I paid for Social Security coverage?

Social Security coverage is mandatory.

The law also does not permit a refund of Social Security taxes. The authority for the collection of taxes, including Social Security taxes, is published in the Internal Revenue Code, not the Social Security Act. (See sections 3101(a) and 3102(a) of the Internal Revenue Code.)  Please direct any questions you may have about tax liability to the Internal Revenue Service at the address below:

Papa Wheelie
Senior Contributor

When the Amish or Mennonite families have overwhelming illness they will file for SSI. I know a number of them in Berks County, PA who receive and have never paid in a cent.

Someone remind me, what happened when the Indian Removal Act was declared unconstitutional and the Cherokee Nation and others were found to have been robbed by the taking of their land and property?

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

[info][add][mail]

H. L. Mencken

Samnospam
Advisor

Jackson ignored it of course. 

If you expect the constitution to protect you from others you have to expect that it will protect others from you.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

Re: Roberts criticism of Ron Paul

Bruce, I'm not advocating the elimination of S.S. or Medicare nor am I questioning if Congress had the power to create these programs.  I was simply saying that my personal opinion of a contract would be something where I had the ability to participate or not.  

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: Roberts criticism of Ron Paul

You have that choice. Simply leave. One could say the same thing about federal income taxes that we really have no choice.

You have the choice by electiing representative government to make the choice for you.