cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Romeny the coward

Just a little disclaimer ... this hobbyfarm2... is in NO WAY a known person to me and looks to NOT share a lot of my views.

Highlighted
Advisor

You got the important part right

Every thing you wrote from "I think it is all politics is right on.

Any member can introduce legislation, however, then the so-called leadership assigns it to a committee and only gets to the floor if the back room boys allow it.  Ask Ron Paul about all the bills he has introduce which died in committee. 

Veteran Advisor

According to former Surgeon General Koop:

Well, read the quotes yourself:

http://www.nrlc.org/abortion/pba/HowOftenAbortionNecessarySaveMother.pdf

http://www.epm.org/resources/2010/Feb/20/what-about-woman-whose-life-threatened-pregnancy-o/

While he was United States Surgeon General, Dr. C. Everett Koop stated publicly that in his thirty-eight years as a pediatric surgeon, he was never aware of a single situation in which a preborn child’s life had to be taken in order to save the life of the mother. He said the use of this argument to justify abortion in general was a “smoke screen.”

Due to significant medical advances, the danger of pregnancy to the mother has declined considerably since 1967. Yet even at that time Dr. Alan Guttmacher of Planned Parenthood acknowledged, “Today it is possible for almost any patient to be brought through pregnancy alive, unless she suffers from a fatal illness such as cancer or leukemia, and, if so, abortion would be unlikely to prolong, much less save, life.” Dr. Landrum Shettles says that less than 1 percent of all abortions are performed to save the mother’s life.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

@Hobbyfarmer wrote:

Just a little disclaimer ... this hobbyfarm2... is in NO WAY a known person to me and looks to NOT share a lot of my views.

Glad you stepped foprward Hobby, for the longest time I thought you were one and the same. I apolgize for some of the post I made to you Ag Web.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

3020, I imformed you once  before about hobbyfarm and hobbyfarmer    do you have it straight now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: According to former Surgeon General Koop:

What's your point?  Would you like it to also be outlawed in the great repub scheme of things?  What if your wife was in that 1%  Or your daughter?

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Could be maybe you don't know how congress works??

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: According to former Surgeon General Koop:

@schnurrbart wrote:

What's your point?  Would you like it to also be outlawed in the great repub scheme of things?

I said nothing of the sort.

What if your wife was in that 1%  Or your daughter?

What if it was your grandchild, that was being aborted, for no good medical reason?  If we are going to speak in the hypothetical, what would you say, if for some reason you had a son, who's wife filed for a separation, or divorce, and was pregnant, and then decided to abort your grandchild?  Would you be all for it, or would you at least wish she would stop, and thik about what she was about to do?

If you actually clicked on the link, and read the point behind it, it was clearly pointed out, that the Christian belief, was to always save the life you can.  So, if the pregnancy put the mother's life in peril, obviously the fetus' life would be in peril, as well, and the ethical thing to do, would be to save the life you can, which would be the mother's (unless, I suppose, the Mother would rather take that risk, but that is her choice, not mine). 
I was just trying to point out, that the argument, to save the life of the mother, is only valid 1 or 2% of the time.  The rest of the time, it is just an excuse.

I hope you can see my point of view, that I believe the fetus is a human being, and the idea of snuffing out an innocent life, should not be taken lightly.  I guess, if you just consider it a 'lump of cells', you don't put as much value behind it, and I can understand where that point of view is coming from.  I just ask that you try to understand the reason behind the way I see abortion, the way I do.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Explain it to me, then.

The way I understand it, they are allowed to filibuster, as long as they want to, unless they get 60 votes for cloture.  How on earth do you know if you will, or will not get the 60 votes, unless you try?

How do you know, that a filibuster will actually occur, if you never call the bluff. 
I know, I know, there was a THREAT of a filibuster.  There is a THREAT of drought, hail, or flood for next year, but I'm still going to at least TRY to raise a crop, because that is my job, what I do. 
Is not a Senator's job, to at least TRY to pass beneficial legislation?
Is it not at least POSSIBLE, that if they filibustered, that maybe Obama could have gone to the American people, and said that Senator Scrooge is filibustering a bill, to give food to starving children (or whatever) and urge the people to call their Senator, and ask them to vote 'for' cloture?

How do we know for sure, none of that would work, when they didn't even try it, once?

I am not saying it would be successful, maybe there is only .0001% chance it would work, but that is still more of a chance, than zero.

Highlighted
Advisor

I don"t think anybody didn't know that.