Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
11 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Ross...the actual conservative

In a former life I used to think there was a future for the GOP along the lines of Jack Kemp conservatism- guys like that who could 'splain to working class white people (and upwardly mobile minorites) why the conservative version of the neolib dream (sort of a hopey changey Ownership Society schtick) was in their best interests.

Of course that turned out to be a mirage and Kemp himself was a dud.

So the game came to be about pulling the scab off a litany of deep seated grievances, as it remains.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

@hardnox wrote:

In a former life I used to think there was a future for the GOP along the lines of Jack Kemp conservatism- guys like that who could 'splain to working class white people (and upwardly mobile minorites) why the conservative version of the neolib dream (sort of a hopey changey Ownership Society schtick) was in their best interests.

Of course that turned out to be a mirage and Kemp himself was a dud.

So the game came to be about pulling the scab off a litany of deep seated grievances, as it remains.

Much in the same fashion as the time period before the civil war. 

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

actually a pretty good read. Ross usually has his head screwed on the right way.

Highlighted
Advisor

He is a good one.  I look forward to his columns 

Highlighted
Advisor

I'm thinking that if the greater party can somehow get itself mentally organized and coordinated we are going to see a real effort to get Kasich the nomination.  He's gaining on Trump in N.N..

it it has to be becoming obvious to many Republicans that Trump or Cruz actually Standing election for President will absolutely blow up the down ballot.

McConnell is under a lot of bagger pressure to change the filibuster rules.  The main reason he is ignoring it has to be that he holds that very fear.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

The Republican Rebellion

democrats will tend to get offered a crap sandwich, and eat it, and say " well, if our masters think this is what we should eat, maybe it isn't all that bad"

Republicans eventually get tired of holding their noses for RINO candidates such as Romney, the Bush's, Kasich...Christie...Bush Redux...etc.....this time around, the one thing Trump has going for him is that he is not an establishment candidate, and he draws votes from both team D and team R.  You seriously think any conservative is going to vote for Hillary or Bernie?

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/01/the-great-republican-revolt/419118/#article-comm...

I really don't fear a Donald Trump presidency...something has to change, and the guy does have a track record of change.

Highlighted
Advisor

Re: The Republican Rebellion

More than anything just the last mass political tantrum of the Baby Boom generation before they head out to pasture.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Didn't read the link, eh?

Highlighted
Advisor

That's the strongest core of his support.

You don't think there are any lower income and educational status white people in that demographic?