cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Rut roh

other data also suggests that the UK variant may be worse for children and young adults, not quite as bad for the elderly.

7 Replies
rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: No, this is good news.

Now all those young people who didn't take precautions because "it only kills the old folks" may need to recalibrate their behavior.  All those anti-vaccers will have to decide what it'll be, no vaccination or no children.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Re: No, this is good news.

Dunno, see where the data goes, but that will be roundly denied in some circles regardless.

People certainly do react differently when children are involved. A while back I looked up some data on the '50s polio epidemic and was surprised to find there were like 2K deaths/yr  at the peak and 16K paralytic cases before the vaccine.

But if it proves out and becomes the dominant strain (that part seems almost certain) then if does change the conversation about in person schooling, etc.

I wonder if adults would then be willing to engage in public health restrictions "for the babies?"

rickgthf
Senior Advisor

Re: I'm guessing the 16K paralytic cases were only the most severe cases

I'm guessing the 16K paralytic cases were only the most severe cases because it wasn't all that uncommon to know somebody with a bad limp or weak arm.  Those people are mostly gone now because they were a few years older than me.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Some may be gone but being in my 70ies I could introduce you to at least 3 people who are my age and still have a limp. 1 is my cousin.

That is why my generation do not oppose a vaccine.

gh2002gh
Senior Contributor

😂 FEAR!!!!!!   FEAR!!!!!  

Hey KnoXi, be sure and go get the vaccine. 

And don't use any of the therapeutics that are 99.99999999% successful.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Sure.

Prescribed by a guy who flunked freshman biology.

r3020
Senior Advisor

Did he play on the girls sports team?