cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NewAgJudge
Senior Contributor

SInce BA totally dropped the ball

I guess it is up to me to provide some GOOD NEWS Thursday.

Read and Rejoice  Smiley Happy

Air Force Drops "So Help Me God"

After an atheist airman complained that he was denied reenlistment because he refused to say the "so help me God" portion of the oath, the Air Force has dropped that requirement.

Following a review of the policy by the Department of Defense General Counsel, the Air Force will now permit airmen to omit the phrase, should they so choose.

That change is effective immediately, according to an Air Force statement. “We take any instance in which Airmen report concerns regarding religious freedom seriously,” Secretary of the Air Force Deborah Lee James said in the statement. “We are making the appropriate adjustments to ensure our Airmen’s rights are protected.

“The Air Force will be updating the instructions for both enlisted and commissioned Airmen to reflect these changes in the coming weeks, but the policy change is effective now. Airmen who choose to omit the words ‘So help me God’ from enlistment and officer appointment oaths may do so.”

They were the only military branch with such an odd requirement.

20 Replies
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Re: SInce BA totally dropped the ball

They are also the only service where the officers routinely attempt to get their subordinates to follow their religion.
ollie2655
Senior Contributor

Re: GUESS WHAT

with ebola---aids---isis---drought and obalmo it is only time before america reallzes who GOD is and that isnt even counting the new childhood disease making thousands sick------ill stick with GOD what have i got to lose and if your wrong you will spend eternity  in hell yep i am on the side of GOD

NewAgJudge
Senior Contributor

Let's separate out an important part for some of our friends here and other intellectually challenged "christians:" no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

I happened to come across an interview with a memeber of your armed forces, do not know if he was air, army or navy but he had been told by his superior that had they known he did not 'believe' in any gods he would never have gotten his last promotion.

He had been in the forces for 15 or 20 years if I remember correctly and was considering what he should do about the discrimination against someone because of his religion or lack of religion.

NewAgJudge
Senior Contributor

His " superior " should be stripped of all medals, stripes, position and pension.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Just my opinion but, I think that "so help me God" should be optional in pledges and testimonies, because if someone really is an atheist, by saying that, they are forced to lie right up front. But if a Christian chooses the option of "so help me God" that only gives more weight to what they are pledging.

I guess what it comes down to is people's word is only as good as their character.
NewAgJudge
Senior Contributor

Agreed

@BA Deere wrote:
Just my opinion but, I think that "so help me God" should be optional in pledges and testimonies, because if someone really is an atheist, by saying that, they are forced to lie right up front. But if a Christian chooses the option of "so help me God" that only gives LESS  weight to what they are pledging.

I guess what it comes down to is people's word is only as good as their character.

Except, I think you  meant to say LESS weight, not more..that would be silly.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@BA Deere wrote:
Just my opinion but, I think that "so help me God" should be optional in pledges and testimonies, because if someone really is an atheist, by saying that, they are forced to lie right up front. But if a Christian chooses the option of "so help me God" that only gives more weight to what they are pledging.

Won't be longe before saying "so help me God" will not even be an option. It will be considered forcing your religious views onto others. You will dimissed from whatever public office for which you were taking an oath. Without God what good is an oath? Whom are you swearing an oath to? So help me God will be replaced with so help me Almighty Government.

OKdon
Senior Contributor

When you pledge allegiance to the flag or take and oath of office, You are not making a pledge or oath to God. You are making a pledge to the electorate or the public you represent that you will serve them properly.

The so help me god is merely another intrusion of religion into the public forum. What interest do people have in the personal religious beleif of   government official. The religious nutbags just want to include God in every human facet of life. Demanding public acceptance of their ideology.