cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Sales taxes on internet sales?

It doesn't seem equitable that busnesses on main street have to collect sales taxes an internet marketers do not.

4 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Sales taxes on internet sales?

I pay sales tax anytime I order from Cabelas, Home Depot, Sears, and Lowes. That is probably 2/3 of my Internet purchases.
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Some online firms pay the tax themselves to attract customers while others are not compelled to collect yet. Apple charges tax no matter where you live or where you order from.
Highlighted

I agree.

And while somebody isgoing to argue about how the extra paperwork is going to kill jobs, growth etc. it just isn't so. All of the internet retailers already have technology in place to collect tax on sales in their state of domicile so all it would take is a small tweak in software to track the state of destination.

Of course if the government had handed me a natural advantage over competition I'd squeal like a shoat stickin a fence too, becasue that's the way the world works. And hire lobbyists for talking points about what a great thing I'm doing for humanity, and form an association to lobby and give money to politicians. That is the way the world works.

I suppose that some form of national clearinghouse to distribute funds to the appropriate states would be helpful to smaller retailers.

Most states cou;d certainly use the revenue.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I agree. It is a tax the poor pay plus the ILLEGAL aliens.