cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bruce MN
Advisor

Sam...is this a fair assesment?

Or is there an answer that the writer didn't either seek or consider?

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_PAUL_GOLD_STANDARD?SITE=FLPEJ&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAUL...

12 Replies
Samnospam
Advisor

Re: Sam...is this a fair assesment?

it's a fair summation of mainstream thinking on the subject.

bruce MN
Advisor

You couldn't spell "meh"?

You'd have been interested in the thoughts of my radical  self proclaimed libertarian survivalist buddy from a  "way back in the day" business relationsip who I communicate with frequently.

Shared it with him and he let me know that it would work just fine.  Would weed out the dead wood of all lands and cultures and leave only those who were naturally competent and worthy to a shot at a do-over.   When asked how the weeding would go he said that they'd all "either starve or kill each other".

I'll have to call him bck and see if he's figure it would be OK to keep a few as slaves.

Anyway, compared to that, your reply was very good.

Samnospam
Advisor

Just stick with krugman Bruce, he'll tell you what you want to know.
bruce MN
Advisor

"Want to know"?

I don't "want" to know anything.   Wish I didn't know much of what I'm fairly confidient that I do know.  Would rather not to have seen quite so much to know about, quite frankly.

I asked because I was interested in your thoughts, not so much that I "wanted" them.   Somewhat out of curiosity and also out of a desire to be informed in order to understand.   Willing to hear what you profess to know on a matter that you are transparently interested and immersed in.

Maybe the one thing in the article that was dead right, as proven out in this exchange, is the bit about indignation if queried.  Like it's a club or a lodge or The Knights Templar or something.   Skull and bones...there you go. Ha! 

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

Bruce, are you asking if it is fair to say that Ron Paul is in favor of a return to the gold standard...(answer there would appear to be a qualified...Yes) or if the article is correct in saying that there is not any way for the world to go back to "hard" money?

bruce MN
Advisor

Of course not the former...sure RP is.  As for my question I was simply asking somone whom I feel is well versed and experienced in the matter, passionately so it seems, as many gold bugs are,  to comment on the article. 

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

well, you seem to follow Krugman, Bernake, and some of the others that believe in inflating the money supply to cure most of what ails the USA, maybe not to their extent, but certainly you do not get alarmed by this...tell me...how do you tell the widows that have a few dollars tucked away for retirement that you are stealing their existing money by printing more?

as a country , we pay the Chinese an interest rate much higher than what is orchestrated for the common citizens, and they still are trying to keep their horde of dollars from rising by buying as much natural resources as they can.....don't you think we are close to the time when the smelly stuff hits the fan?

Don't $20,000 per acre land sales register somewhere and cause alarm bells to go off?

Or does the aftermath of the perpetual party that was the housing market make the inflation camp content?

I don't see any of this ending well.

Maybe if we could send someone back to 1963 and have them shoot LBJ instead, this whole world would be a better place. I can't help but feel that virtually everything he did was wrong. Entitlements, Vietnam, ...even the way he wore that funny tie and how he combed his hair.

bruce MN
Advisor

well, you seem to follow Krugman, Bernake, and some of the others that believe in inflating the money supply to cure most of what ails the USA, maybe not to their extent, but certainly you do not get alarmed by this...tell me...how do you tell the widows that have a few dollars tucked away for retirement that you are stealing their existing money by printing more?

as a country , we pay the Chinese an interest rate much higher than what is orchestrated for the common citizens, and they still are trying to keep their horde of dollars from rising by buying as much natural resources as they can.....don't you think we are close to the time when the smelly stuff hits the fan?

I read Krugman quite regularly.  Despise Bernake.  I don't see the connection..  Bernake is looking out exclusively  for banks and bondholders. Krugman wants them bridled and trimmed.  They are at loggerheads from where I see it.  I appreciate Krugman because he virtually loathes lying, deceiving, make it up as you go along, glad handing elitist right wingers . So do I.

Don't $20,000 per acre land sales register somewhere and cause alarm bells to go off?

That is an after effect of extreme profitibilty in an industry.  Nobody is speculating that price, much as they did in early ag bubbles.  But it probably is a bubble, but I don't see it as any part of an inflationary trend.  We keep hearing that there is going to be this massive run of core inflation and it isn't happening except for in commocdities and much of that IS speculation.

Or does the aftermath of the perpetual party that was the housing market make the inflation camp content? 

The housing market is deflating.  Some say there is another 25-40% to go.  Isay easily that.

I don't see any of this ending well.

Nor do I.  I envision a desperate putsch undertaken on the orders of plutocrats who make promises to members of the services and local peace officers resulting in a number of very dark years.

Maybe if we could send someone back to 1963 and have them shoot LBJ instead, this whole world would be a better place. I can't help but feel that virtually everything he did was wrong. Entitlements, Vietnam, ...even the way he wore that funny tie and how he combed his hair.

How old were you in 1963?  Familiar wit you as little as I am now, you'd have thought whatt we were doing in SE Asia was the absolute greatest thing mankind had ever undertaken.  The Nation did..  Check out the McGovern elctoral count.  Check what sort of luck Gene McCarthy had vying for the nomination of the liberal party.

I don;t give a rats a$$ if you resond to this or not, but I gaurandamnedtee ya' that the brand of conservativsm that sort of came along with Reagan's puppet masters as a response to the Vietnam fiasco more than anything else  didn't freaking exist in 1963.   People were personally conservative, people were what would be seen now as culturally archaic and were not integrated as we are now (in many, many more ways than just race, which has become the easy out card) and very, very patriotic and concerned with the future of the country..  This new hybrid of reigious extremism ####ing every night in every sort of position imaginable  with the moguls and teh oligarchs for mutual political faovors READ: indifference on the one hand and votes in large bunndles on the other...it's happeing as we speak in the GOP ru-nup....the thumpers are going to accept the greedy **bleep**...doin the end...every time)) COULDN"T have existed then.  The little people ALL knew who could and couldn't be trusted with the purse strings.  Not Daddy Warbucks, and not Elmer Gantry....so they did their best to nominate and elect people who looked like they cared and were in on this thing with us all. 

The liberal activist governments we've had since the progressive adminstrations of  Eisenhower through Nixon built this country have been to tell the truth unfortunate but very necessary reactionary bodies.. Since the day Nixon got on that helicpopter and **bleep** Cheney's buddy Gerry Ford took office it has been nothing but one big round of extraction after extraction.  

There was a huge middle class kindred that you wouldn't recognixe if it hit you in the face. Those widows you're talking about?  They were part of it.  Good thing that you screen your dear old Ma from teh realities of it all.  You might not want to hear what she really has to say about it if presented with the facts of the matter...how it really all "went down".

"Peace on earth would mean the end of civilization as we know it" Joseph Heller
Samnospam
Advisor

If you sincerely want to know about gold backed currency you can go to Mises.org and learn all you need to know.