cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wehav
Senior Contributor

Science, it's amazing how wrong it can be.

Oh how smart we are.  How intelligent.  We now know.... nothing.

It has for a number of years been popular with paleontologists and related fields to believe that dinosaurs were rendered extinct by one (1) meteor landing on earth.  That was one of those "it turns out that" statements scientist of our era love to spout. 

However it wasn't and isn't true.  First we know that there are dinosaurs still living, birds.  Second recent dating and finds have discovered that dinosaurs lived 700,000 years after any meteor impact.

http://www.newsroomamerica.com/story/96907/test_shows_dinosaurs_survived_mass_extinction_by_700,000_...  and if for some reason you're not happy with the link find another because there are plenty.

Real science is always searching for truth, unlike government research personnel who are searching for funding.

9 Replies
KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Re: Science, it's amazing how wrong it can be.

I am sitting here laughing my hiney off becuase the information are using to discrecit science is.........................................

........................BASED ON SCIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

greenhouse man
Senior Contributor

@KNAPPer wrote:

I am sitting here laughing my hiney off becuase the information are using to discrecit science is.........................................

........................BASED ON SCIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't that how its suppose to work????

Canuck_2
Veteran Advisor

@greenhouse man wrote:

Isn't that how its suppose to work????

Yes greenhouse that is it exactly.

The reason that science, well good science, will never say this is THE answer.

Good science knows that tomorrow or the day after someone, somewhere with new info or new technology will find out that the theory is not quite true and it will be improved.

gough whitlam
Advisor

I think wehav might be linking science with god and a disguised attempt to discredit science.  I hope he continues on as I am salivating like a rabid dog to get at him with my favourite subject.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Because you found some scientists that say the things you want to believe doesn't make it so.  I would imagine that a good number of them believe just the opposite.  The Dr.  of physics who was interviewed last week on one of the news stations was talking about signs pointing to a big blow in Yellowstone said that it was generally believed that Yellowstone last blew about 640,000 years ago which was about the same time as a giant meteor hit in Mexico and that many scientists believe the two combined to spell the demise of the dinosaurs.

wehav
Senior Contributor

Maybe I should repeat that last statement;

"Real science is always searching for truth, unlike government research personnel who are searching for funding."

I've been fortunate in my life to be on the inside of some scientific breakthroughs and inventions.  However I well remember the statements made at the time, those statements were, "it turns out that."   Well it later sometimes turned out that it didn't.  That is real science and real science doesn't try to prove a point of view based on a getting a grant. 

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Are you REALLY milligan's brother?

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

You mean there are government palentologists? Who do they work for? The Department of Palentology? What a cool job (not that it really exists). Also if they are goverrnment personnel with a budget and all.....why are they searching for funding? Don't they get an appropriation? Are you maybe talking about grants? And if these people are seeking grants, do they work for the government? Why does the government need to give grants to its self? I think there are some holes in your statement. I have worked on a GOVERNMENT grant review panel before (Institute of Museum and Library Services). Believe me, none of the PRIVATE NON-PROFIT museums we gave grants to worked for the goverment. All they had to do is have the best application and report on their spending. They were never contacted by the government inbetween. They were never pressured to provide a specific outcome. US Government agancies are not eligable for government grants. I think you are accusing them of stacking the cards to get funding and that's just not the case. I know what I am talking about and I have some experience in the matter, do you?

Canuck_2
Veteran Advisor

@KNAPPer wrote:

You mean there are government palentologists? Who do they work for? The Department of Palentology? What a cool job (not that it really exists). Also if they are goverrnment personnel with a budget and all.....why are they searching for funding? Don't they get an appropriation? Are you maybe talking about grants? And if these people are seeking grants, do they work for the government? Why does the government need to give grants to its self? I think there are some holes in your statement. I have worked on a GOVERNMENT grant review panel before (Institute of Museum and Library Services). Believe me, none of the PRIVATE NON-PROFIT museums we gave grants to worked for the goverment. All they had to do is have the best application and report on their spending. They were never contacted by the government inbetween. They were never pressured to provide a specific outcome. US Government agancies are not eligable for government grants. I think you are accusing them of stacking the cards to get funding and that's just not the case. I know what I am talking about and I have some experience in the matter, do you?

I also sat on a committee allocating grants to farmers for conservation work.

They had to put a proposal to us and then it was inspected before paying them.

They sure did not work for the government.

Best compliment I heard was the quote from someone turned down who said "you'd think it was their own money they were paying out"