cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Scientists build synthetic chromosome

Altering things with gene splicing may soon be old hat and who knows what might be created with the ability to build chromosmes for special purposes.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/scientists-build-first-synthetic-yeast-chromosome-1.2589123

An international team of scientists has built a modified yeast chromosome from scratch, the latest step in the quest to make the world's first synthetic yeast genome, an advance that would lead to new strains of the organism to help produce industrial chemicals, medicines and biofuels.

Instead of just copying nature, the team did extensive tinkering with their chromosome, deleting unwanted genes here and there. It then successfully incorporated the designer chromosome into living yeast cells, endowing them with new capabilities not found in naturally occurring yeast.

31 Replies
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Re: Scientists build synthetic chromosome

I trust those who claim there is a god(s) because man has not 'created' life yet took note of what science has done here.

ollie2655
Senior Contributor

Re: tell em to make a grain of corn

without something GOD created

Husker-J
Senior Contributor

Well, since you felt the need to bring religion into what could have been a nice little blurb about a scientific breakthrough, I guess I'll respond.

Let's see, I have been hearing for years how 'evolution' was the only explanation that was supposed to describe various forms of life on the planet.  Now, it seems, that suddenly you have jumped onto the 'intelligent design' bandwagon.   You do realize, that most of the Christians I know, are of the 'intelligent design' line of thinking, and it seems that you have joined us.  

Welcome!  You are now one step closer to the truth!  

Now, all we need to do, is convince you that the spark of life, and the evolution of the different species, were due to God's influence, and not some unknown force that athiests can only explain as not being God.  I wonder how hard that will be.....LOL

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

@Husker-J wrote:

Well, since you felt the need to bring religion into what could have been a nice little blurb about a scientific breakthrough, I guess I'll respond.

Let's see, I have been hearing for years how 'evolution' was the only explanation that was supposed to describe various forms of life on the planet.  Now, it seems, that suddenly you have jumped onto the 'intelligent design' bandwagon.   You do realize, that most of the Christians I know, are of the 'intelligent design' line of thinking, and it seems that you have joined us.  

Now, all we need to do, is convince you that the spark of life, and the evolution of the different species, were due to God's influence, and not some unknown force that athiests can only explain as not being God.  I wonder how hard that will be.....LOL

It was aimed at the people who claim evolution is wrong and man has to be able to create life before it could be true.

Now you can believe anything you want but you know I do not believe in 'intelligent design' as I am sure I have pointed that out in the past.

Yes it is a scientific breakthrough and shows what scientists are capable of when they are not held back by religious beliefs that can not be explained.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Wow, Great!

....Hey wait a minute they cheated!  They needed ingredients!  God didn`t. 

Seriously Canuck, even in your own link it says `this is less like playing God and more like genetic engineering on a broader scale`, so let`s call it what it is.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@Canuck_2 wrote:

@Husker-J wrote:

It was aimed at the people who claim evolution is wrong and man has to be able to create life before it could be true.

Now you can believe anything you want but you know I do not believe in 'intelligent design' as I am sure I have pointed that out in the past.

Yes it is a scientific breakthrough and shows what scientists are capable of when they are not held back by religious beliefs that can not be explained.

The only thing that can't be explained is how everything evolved from nothing.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Re: Wow, Great!

@BA Deere wrote:

....Hey wait a minute they cheated!  They needed ingredients!  God didn`t. 

Seriously Canuck, even in your own link it says `this is less like playing God and more like genetic engineering on a broader scale`, so let`s call it what it is.

Exactly, no god needed.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

r3020 wrote:

There you go mixing 2 things together again.

Evolution has nothing to do with nothing.

Is it because of 'beliefs' you get mixed up?

As I said when you take the blinders of unexplained beliefs off there is no limit to what man can do.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@Canuck_2 wrote:

r3020 wrote:

There you go mixing 2 things together again.

Evolution has nothing to do with nothing.

Is it because of 'beliefs' you get mixed up?

As I said when you take the blinders of unexplained beliefs off there is no limit to what man can do.

It is not two things, it is one and the same. Without a universe their is nothing for anything to evolve from.