cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Contributor

Screams are starting on PBS, NPR budget

The Obama administration is pulling federal funding for PBS and NPR.  The screaming is already starting.  I think a few PBS and NPR programs are wonderful and those who like them should be happy and willing to support them.  I send some money every year and will continue to do so as long as those shows are aired.  But, I don't send any money for the shows I don't care to watch.

There's no doubt in my mind that if all those who will now scream that the government should fund NPR and PBS will underwrite them, they will stay on the air, just with a slight funding change.  πŸ™‚

13 Replies
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Re: Screams are starting on PBS, NPR budget

I just heard that but what I heard was that this was the repubs plan and Obama vowed to veto it if it passes.  The repubs attached it to the bill to continue funding the govt thinking that no one wants the govt to shut down.  You better go check your sources again because it isn't true what you said.  The repigs say that NPR is a left-leaning network and want it gone.  Sounds like the Middle East now with cutting off all opposition voices!

Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Contributor

Oops, you are right.  I got my sources mixed up.  Yep, it's time to get the government out of the news business but it is unlikely to happen.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

I really would like you to explain how NPR is left leaning. They always offer to interview both sides in the news. Likewise, so does PBS news. Both have much non-news programming that I fail in any way to understand how entertainment programming can be lefo OR right leaning. The last reminants of true journalism are left in these two institutions. I think, IMHO, that conservatives disfavor NPR and PBS because they do not lean....mainly to the right. They might be in favor of funding Fox though.

Jim Meade / Iowa City
Senior Contributor

"I really would like you to explain how NPR is left leaning."

Who is "you"?  Certainly not me.  I said nothing about left or right.  Someone else said something.  I get 250 channels on cable.  Many people get many channels.  Of course, not all do.  Some are still on the rabbit ears.  The point is that the marketplace seems fully capable of providing nature, science, music, history, political discussion and other perspectives so the government is not needed to spend taxpayer money.  Let the marketplace provide it.  We have many places we should cut taxes and many places we need to support with public funds.  NPR and PBS will not doom the nation if they are put on a commercial basis.  I'm sure the people who like them will be willing to provide funds.  I support them every year."

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Posts are often difficult to decipher. It is hard to tell sometimes what people are saying. Also, I often get confused with the view I use on this website as to who is responding to who. There are lts of people here who HATE NPR and PBS, but if you ask them how much they listen watch, you will discover it is zero. Apologies.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

Careful there Bart.   It was Dems that suggested revising the Fairness Doctrine in an attempt to try to silence Rush.  MSNBC's Ed Schultz even suggested a Decency Law to try and silence Rush.

Bottom line is both parties would love to silence the voice of their opposition.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Right, BUT all of you guys from top to bottom are the holiest of holies and righteous and never do anything immoral, unethical nor unfair so to have the House try to do this IS newsworthy. 

BA Deere
Senior Contributor

I listen to NPR shows like "All Things Considered" "Michael Feldman`s What`d Know?" "Wait Wait Don`t Tell Me" "Car talk" They all have a liberal slant and if they have an audience they`re packed with liberals. As an example before Sarah Palin got well known and you all started hating her Michael Feldman was interviewing a audience gal that out of the blue run Sarah down mercilessly, to the delight of the rest of the audience.  I could see it then, "So goes the rest of the Democrats". Public Tv and radio are basically a taxpayer funded 24/7 commercial for the Democrat party. All that said, we donate to Iowa Public Television.

bruce MN
Veteran Advisor

I'd agree that the entertainment programing is slanted to a certain breed of liberals...more or less the current "hipster" set.... but the news programing on both public TV and radio is easily the most intentionally balanced source there is. To th point where it is empty of any substance, ideaology or politics aside, much of the time. I've quite watching the  6 PM PBS news as the desk people spend so much time bending over backwards to remain fair to the far right that not much ever really gets discussed anymore.

No real mystery why so many people have taken to streaming in their news from BBC, CBC and Al Jazeera.

Car Talk is as good as anything I've heard in a long time on radio. At least since Beaker Street went off the air at KAAY AM in Little Rock.