cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dagwud
Senior Contributor

Re: Screams are starting on PBS, NPR budget

Beaker Street, boy that brings back some old memories.

bruce MN
Veteran Advisor

I get a crazy kick out of meeting people who were listeners and visiting about it. Don't that often anymore. I had a job in the early 70's that involved considerable late night driving and it was great company.

dagwud
Senior Contributor

Bruce, check out Wiki's story on Beaker Street.  Interesting stories such as the origins of the name "Beaker Street" and how they brought back ex-DJ Clyde Gifford to host the last show for Beaker Street after station KAAY was sold and was to switch over to a religious format. 

I want to know how I in northern Iowa I could listen to a radio station from from Arkansan in the early 70's on an old cheap AM radio but can't today tune in a FM radio station 40 miles away in my tractor with a modern digital radio?  Something to be said for 50,000 watt AM stations.

bruce MN
Veteran Advisor

The Bush administration FCC, Newscorp and Hubbard Broadcasting for starters.

I was travelling through the SE MN hills one evening last September, about 80 or 90 miles So. of the Twin Cities and couldn't  pick up the Twins game on either FM or AM. Yet, I remember listening to WCCO from Mpls. in So. Ohio on the way home from a family vacation to Washington D.C. in 1958.

$$$$$$$$$$

Along with the Wikii there is alot fo other good internet stuffon Beaker Stree and KAAY.

Knapper...is iKAAY still up and running? Murdoch own it yet?