Did you mean: 
Flatland Hillbilly
Senior Contributor

Re: Send your wedding gifts to Obama

yes

dave.charlesworth
Frequent Contributor

yes,I would. I dont think either of them honestly care about the working  "middle class" as long as they get you to vote them into office. They all want to be your best buddy until tey get elected then they dont know you  or realy care about your concerns.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I can absolutely, positively, with all certainty, and without a doubt, say, that had this sort of thing been 'active' when I got married, I would have NOT asked anyone to give to the Presidential election, as part of our wedding gift, no matter WHO was running. 

How tacky is it, to ask your guests, many of whom would be supporters of the other candidate, to donate to X campaign?   Would that not be offensive, or at least completely insensitive to their beliefs?

Now, if someone wanted to give to a worthy charity, and include a slip in the card, saying they gave $X to the Red Cross, or Make-a-Wish, or Feed the Children or whatever, I would be all for that, but all etiquitte I have ever been taught, says that the giver of the gift, is the one who gets to decide that. 

Seriously, think about it.  How insensitive would it be to you, if on your birthday instead of giving you some tickets to a ball game, so you could take your grandkids there, someone said that they instead gave the equivilant money as a donation to the Bush Presidential library (so they could get a new book that GW didn't color in yet LOL)?  Wouldn't that be very insensitive towards you?

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

I wouldn't have any problem asking those whose leanings I was sure of if I was rapid enough (which I'm not).  I have contributed very small amounts over the years but I mean VERY small amounts but I'm not going to give my truck payment or the farm payment or anything like that.  I might do it to someone like oilie just to piss him off but none others.  I don't see much if any difference in people asking you to donate to THEIR favorite charity.  If you feel strongly enough that a person should get elected or be defeated to donate money toward that end, you might ask a friend that you knew to donate also in lieu of giving you money or a gift for something.  I think it is another one of those non-issues that the rabid right likes to get all indignant about periodically.

r3020
Senior Advisor

Wonder how long till they make it mandatory. Call it the wedding gift tax.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

GOOFBALL!

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

I guess one could return the gift, and send the money to Obama, but I can see it offending some people, unless you were SURE they were OK with it.

ollie2655
Senior Contributor

Re: typical project beggar bum

he is doing what he does best---begging --or selling his soul --not worth much but he is following his families ways of selling themselves

ollie2655
Senior Contributor

Re: another 1st showing obalmos failure

at anything