cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Separation of church and state

Until you transgress on a religious name.

http://www.wbir.com/news/article/283997/2/Judge-orders-babys-name-be-changed-from-Messiah

Judge Ballew ordered the 7-month-old's name be "Martin DeShawn McCullough." It includes both parent's last names but leaves out Messiah.

"The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," Judge Ballew said.

Martin responded saying, "I was shocked. I never intended on naming my son Messiah because it means God and I didn't think a judge could make me change my baby's name because of her religious beliefs."

5 Replies
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Re: Separation of church and state

Ah, yeah  a judge took kids away from parents that named their kid "Hitler" how do you feel about that?   http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/31/adolf-hitler-campbell-custody-battle-nazi-names-new-jersey_...

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

i think there is a little difference there BA.

Abuse is the reason except in the fathers eyes but then there is some evidence that he has at least threatened violence against his wife.

The story i posted was a name change because the judge did not want a name used in her religion to be given to a child.

Religious reasons as indicated from the judge herself.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Some people are really stupid and shouldn`t put their kids through this stuff by starting them out with a purposely controversial name like "Hitler"  "Charles Manson" or "messiah".  If I was a judge i`d just roll my eyes and say "yeah, in about 16 years that kid will probably be in front of my court in again for some kind of trouble"  but that`s the way it is, everybody is looking for their 15 minutes of fame.  I`m inclined to let stupid people wallow in their stupidity.  It wouldn`t at all surprise me if one day "Hitler" becomes a popular name.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

I would never name any of my children those names either but a judge does not have the right to arbitarily change a child's name because of her religious ideas.

That is the point. state imposing religion on people.

r3020
Senior Advisor

@Canuck_2 wrote:

I would never name any of my children those names either but a judge does not have the right to arbitarily change a child's name because of her religious ideas.

That is the point. state imposing religion on people.

I agree with you 100%. Non of the judge's business.